Art Deco in Turquoise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from broitblat

broitblat

Somehow, I was expecting something different from this combination :confused:

I went ahead and assembled it, but I don't think I like it and I'm not sure why.

-Barry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkHix

I think it is a combination of a busy kit and a busy blank. Try the blank on a kit that is not as ornate. It does not work for me either. Maybe a kit that is not as shiney? Sometimes I assemble one and it just says...nope, not quite.

Brooks803

To me it looks like the gold from the kit is overwhelming the gold matrix of the trustone and making it look "dumbed down". I like both the kit and the blank and what you've done with it, just doesn't seem to fit together.

jskeen

Well, I agree, it don't work for some reason, but I almost think it's because the blank don't stand up to the kit, not because it's too busy. I would try something bolder, like the black with gold web, or the crystacola or arizona jade. I think that kit demands a dark blank, not a pastel. It's the pale color that's working against you, not the amount of activity. But hey, that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

PenMan1

The not working is certainly not your fault Barry. This deco pen kit is SO busy that it looks overdone even on the simplest black blank. IMHO, it has TOO many lines and stones, etc going in all directions. Well executed, though!

I bought on of these along with one of the Majestic Squires. I had the same results as you.

PenMan1

I am not bashing David Broadwell. He certainly has done a lot for the penmaking world. The Art Deco stuff just does not see to be as tastefully done as his earlier work with the Neavue Septre. The Septre was somewhat sutble and delicate. The Deco just beats you over the head with gawdy.

I think I like the kit, but would like to know where to get it, I am thinking a solid colour rather than a figured or blended design of busy blank, etc, I am thinking deep red's or green's, even man made ivory and yes, black

PaulDoug

Okay, here is my opinion. It's the clip. Take that clip off and put and a plain silver (chrome) clip on and you have a pretty pen. To me those clip distract from the rest of the pen. When I glance at that pen my eyes go directly to the clip and not the pretty turquoise.

broitblat

Thanks for all the feedback, folks.

I actually like the kit (Art Deco from PSI), but agree it would be better with a plainer blank.

Here's one I did earlier that, while not solid color, seems to work better.

-Barry

Rfturner

The Art deco kits demand attention to the kit itself rather then the pen as a whole. The turquois blank competes with it, I cant quite put my finger on it but it is something about it that I don't like, I think that it does look good with the darker blanks. You could pull off the black matrix with the Gold or a straight up dark blank, the lighter colors don't look good on this kit

Top Bottom