Art Deco Euro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tinker

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinker

My first in the Euro style, other than the couple that didn't work out right.[B)] First Art Deco though.
The bushing kit I have didn't come with the little bushing that slides over the bushing for the tenon, so I used a CB as a bushing. It worked fairly well.[:0]
edit: The spring loaded pocket clip is pretty neat.

2005723224913_80.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mike_l

Nice pen. I didn't know about the spring loaded clip. Thanks for the info and for sharing your pen.

Mike L

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Not sure this was intentional: Most people square the shoulder, and mount the CB the other way around. The way you do it (rounded shoulder against round) is more tolerant, but I'm not convinced by the hard shoulder that leaves.

tinker

Thanks fellas. Way cool, I didn't use any glue on the CB In case I wanted to disassemble it and do more finishing in the future. I turned it around and see now, that is the way it is supposed to be.
I got my birthday 10% off card from WC today and will get a full bushing set when I make that run. Gotta get a list up and do it all in one whack.
I left my notes at the penturning class and forgot that I should do the sanding prior to turning the tenon. Result, rounded shoulder.
I am the poster boy for "learn from your mistakes". Lessons seldom forgotten.
I am wondering if I could cut an 1/16" off and remount it and return the tenon. It appears there is enough room in the cap to do that, but would I loose the asthetical balance? I think I will do it anyway and see, I hate to just leave it like that knowing it isn't right.

wayneis

You don't need to take a 1/16" off by the looks of it, just a touch so that you have a square shoulder. One thing to be aware of though is that if you take too much off you will have to resand and finish because the shoulder will be proud of the centerband.

A tip for pressing in the clip that is not in the instructions is to put the back end of a drill bit that just fits in the bottom of the clip and then pull the clip out a little and incert a tooth pick so that the clip sticks out and that way you won't scratch your nice finish. This is in the instructions for the Olympia kit which has the same clip but never has been is the Art Deco kit instructions.

Wayne

dubdrvrkev

Pen looks nice, I bet even better with the CB turned around [;)]
A word of advice, don't get the PSI center bushing that has the sleeveon it for their euro kits. I wasted my money on it and it makes the tennon too small, the CB just floated on it. I did alot better when I used to just eyeball the length and turn down with the regular bushing.

tinker

Wayne, thanks for that info. The tooth pick is a good solution for that problem. I think taking off as little as possible to get a square shoulder is the correct way to procede, it may be less than I originally thought. I will post a picture of the results, assuming no disasters occur.

tinker

Kevin,
I will get the one from woodcraft. I have seen first hand that it is a good fit. I am not real happy with PS stuff right now. Thanks for the heads up on that.
The pen does look a lot better with the CB turned the correct way and if I am successful in the repair (insert scared smilie here) it will be as close to perfect as any pen I have done so far.
It is so hot here in Ga. I can't even imagine 15* higher like you people have. I guess you just stay indoors as much as possible.

Hi,

Normally I am not a big fan of this style of pen hardware, it has always left me with a feling that more could be done with it for some reason.

BUT, But...for some reason this paricular hardware finish you have shown here really works for me....and the pen you turned really does appeal to me.....I am so glad to see variations on pen kit finishes now that make our choices of Looks and Materials more expressive that the past offerings...

You have made a great looking pen and open my eyes..

:)

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />Hi,

Normally I am not a big fan of this style of pen hardware, it has always left me with a feeling that more could be done with it for some reason.

BUT, But...for some reason this paricular hardware finish you have shown here really works for me....and the pen you turned really does appeal to me.....I am so glad to see variations on pen kit finishes now that make our choices of Looks and Materials more expressive that the past offerings...

You have made a great looking pen and open my eyes..

:)

tinker

Thanks Jim and Ken. Very kind words. I fixed the CB problem. I turned a new top and the grain matched great. I like the Euro style pens, especially now that I am getting a little better at turning them.
The second pen is a slim line that used to be an Euro, so not a total lose.

2005724201742_91.jpg
<br />

GregD

So, your saying the second pen is a euro slimline???

The both look real nice. The euro looks much better with the cb on the right way.

tinker

Thanks fellas. I think I am getting a lot of good experience fixing the mess ups, but it would be nice to get through one properly.
Euro Slim Line or ESL from this time forward.[:D] I think I will have a few of these before it is over.[B)]

wayneis

Ah yes, that looks better. Now you have a real nice looking pen. I really like these kits but sense BB came out with the Olympia I haven't done these nearly as much. Personally what I liked most about the kit was the spring clip and the Olympia has that and also has a nicer centerband and the Olympia also comes in more finishes.

Wayne

elody21

Nice pen. I love the Woodcraft euro pens. They are much fancier than the regular ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom