The Apprentice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mrcook4570

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcook4570

Most of my family is in town this week for a family reunion. One of my uncles was intrigued by my pens and asked if I needed an apprentice. He said he would like to make a pen for his wife (who did not make the trip). He has never turned anything before nor has he ever done any woodworking (unless you count building a deck and remodeling a house).

So he picked a pen style and a blank. While the glue for the tubes was curing, I mounted a scrap blank between centers and showed him how to use the tools. Three hours later...
20068323569_AlbertPen.jpg

All of the work is entirely his. I did absolutely no work on the pen except for the assembly.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBusardo

No blown blanks? No Chip out? No Fit problems? No problem with the tenon? No cloudiness with the finish? No sanding marks?
Does you uncle know how lucky he was to have a real teacher guiding him??? He got a 100 pens worth of experience in three hours!!! Excellent Job!!! Is this going to be a one time thing, or do you see a person who will unknowingly have become addicted....
Gary

mrcook4570

Thank you all for the kind remarks. I will pass them on to my uncle.

And Travis, I'm not pulling your leg. I did not do any of the work except for the assembly. Even the idea to make the comfort bump at the nib was his (he liked the way the ones I had made with the bump felt in his hand). I did, however, watch over his shoulder and talk him through the entire process. I thoroughly inspected the blank at various stages of turning and sanding and offered suggestions. I must confess, though, that the curl gave him some problems with tear out and he was not real confident with the skew, so he started sanding with 100 grit.

Is this a one time thing? I doubt it. He and his wife just recently retired and he thinks this is something they could do together. He has been asking me about lathes and what it would take to get started and I found HF, WC, and an AAW chapter near him, so we'll see what happens [:D]

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Your Uncle's results speak volumes about the teachers skill, patience and his ability relate that to a student. Not only did your Uncle turn out a great pen, you have crafted a fine pen turner yourself...GREAT JOB!

GBusardo

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />
Is this a one time thing? I doubt it. He and his wife just recently retired and he thinks this is something they could do together. He has been asking me about lathes and what it would take to get started and I found HF, WC, and an AAW chapter near him, so we'll see what happens [:D]

That is awesome, I am really happy that he can find a good hobby in his retirement. Too many people in this world are not passionate about anything. Makes for a dull life, IMHO
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom