Apple Oops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

I had some really good luck with a crab apple limb last year and came across another last week that I cut up into blanks. The blanks looked really interesting so I was anxious to turn one and see what I had. The wood was a bit punky, so I stabilized red and orange. When I was drilling the cap, the end tore out (gotten get that 15/32" sharpened... :mad:). Normally, I would not bother finishing, but I really wanted to see what the wood was going to look like, so I grabbed an acrylic cutoff I had laying around and segmented it to the damaged end. It didn't look like much turning, but when I hit it with CA... out popped some really nice deep dark and rich colors. Glad I stuck with it to the end. Alls well that ends well. :)

(I've got a G2 Gel refill in it, which is why it the tip is a little short. I took the pick before I sanded off the back of the nib to let it come through properly)

Attachments

• AppleOops (1 of 3).jpg
    AppleOops (1 of 3).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 290
  • AppleOops (2 of 3).jpg
    AppleOops (2 of 3).jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 246
  • AppleOops (3 of 3).jpg
    AppleOops (3 of 3).jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Beautiful wood, nice save. Personally, I think a darker "oops band" with less contrast would have looked better. Solid black would be good. I think the lighter colored band draws too much attention to it. Just my 2 cents.

bpgoldo

Roy, nice rich color to the wood. I Like the band save as well. Made the pen better. You might try a thin separator band between the wood and the insert. Maybe metallic. Any good contrast color. I have found that it makes the transition "read" cleaner. Thinner on that transition band is better. Thanks for sharing. Now I am hungry for an apple. Go figure!

Top Bottom