Apple Cross Grain Rollerball by Badger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from badger

badger

Here is another one I made tonight. It was a royal pain, but it turned out interesting. Unfortunatly some checking showed up, but I went with it, and I'm trying to decide if I like it or hate it.

The wood is Apple wood, sourced from the trimmings of an Orchard near my my Mom's house. The wood is usually burned as firewood (makes great firewood) but she saves me a few pieces in exchange for pens.

The kit is a PSI "Classic" Rollerball. (poor quality refill in these, I need to find a replacement, but I struck out when I tried to fit some at the office supply place.)

apple_crossgrain_rollerball2.jpg

apple_crossgrain_rollerball1.jpg

apple_crossgrain_rollerball3.jpg

Thoughts?

badger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hazard

Cool pen. There usually is alot of stress in the lumber from apple trees. Probably due to the stress put on the trees from the apples.

There was an apple orchard in the family for 75yrs. We sold it like 5 yrs ago. I have cut down hundreds of these trees. Some of the most beautiful wood I have seen. I slabbed a bunch 10yrs ago. I still need to make some pens and furniture out of it.

wendell

Nice pen. I agree that the cracks add character.

On the refill front, did you try the Pilot G2 refills? I made a Berea Screwtop Americana rollerball that looks basically the same the PSI "Classic". I replaced the cheap refill that came with the kit with a G2 refill.

Wendell

badger

It certainly was a hit at work, I was of mixed thoughts on the crack, but I warmed up to really quickly. I like the look of the pattern, I think I might try it again.

badger

badger

Thanks for the tip on the Pilot G2, those are the same size as the refill in the kits.

Here is the problem though. The refill does't appear to fit the kit?!? When I put the refill into the nib part, I have to push hard to get the tip to show out the end, and it's just there by friction. The spring in the kit doesn't do anything.

When I put the kit in against the spring, and screw in the nib part, the tip does not show out the end. All five of the kits I got for this use the same refill.

The G2 fits snugly in the tip, so it works, but it doesn't seem right. Am I missing something? The kit is Code: PKPAR10RT from Penn State Ind. through Woodturningz.

badger

Top Bottom