Apollo Infinity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WildThings

WildThings

My first "Show Off Your Pen" post. Bought this blank from fellow IAP member "Justturnin". Hope I did it justice! It's an awesome blank!!

1_Apollo_Gamble_Oak_Burl_3.jpg

1_Apollo_Gamble_Oak_Burl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Nice one. How does that kit feel? Good Quality? Nice work on the pen. Looks like you are still a bit proud on the cap but that could be a funny reflection off the Gold band I cant tell. Either way nice work. CA Finish?

WildThings

Looks like you are still a bit proud on the cap but that could be a funny reflection off the Gold band I cant tell. Either way nice work. CA Finish?

4 coats of BLO/CA and then an additional 12 coats of thin CAs polished to 12K mm.

I'm getting a little out of round on some of my turnings. Still working off a mandrel. I think it showed up on that cap - good eye!!

Still very much a noobie (3 months experience) but trying to soak up any and all info I can.

Thanks for all the kind comments - makes me wanna go turn another one tonight as soon as I get home....wait I'm gonna do that anyway LOL!!

WT

Justturnin

I'm getting a little out of round on some of my turnings. Still working off a mandrel. I think it showed up on that cap - good eye!!

I had the same issue and it came down to too much pressure. When I was using the mandrel I did one part at a time and used a mandrel saver in the TS. This shortened the Mandrel and made it more rigid. Then I worked on my skew skills and also a lighter touch sanding. Once I worked these out everything I blamed on my old lathe went away.......go figure.

Nice finish. If you saw some of my first CA finishes you would laugh your tail off. I tried the BLO thing and it was a mess so I stick to straight CA.

Cant wait to see some more.

76winger

You picked one of my personal favorite pens (because they fit my hand so well). So the cool wormy blank only makes it that much better!

WildThings

Beautiful work. You can always disassemble and re-turn the cap if you want it perfect.

My luck with disassembly so far Tom has been atrocious. Either destroying it or twice, I have punched out the tubes along with the components YIKES. SO maybe not with this one

I've always liked how that kit looked, is it good quality?

I'm very new to this ADDICTION and don't have the experience with what is good and/or bad. I've bought a whole bunch of everything to test the waters so to speak!

Good choice on the components, good execution and awsome photography.
WB

Thanks I've really been happy with the way my photos are turning out - all knowledge how came, from this site!!

WT

76winger

I've always liked how that kit looked, is it good quality?

IMHO:
It's not as good as the Majestics, Emperors and the like, but it's better than the Olympian and similar styles from other sources.

It's as big as the Majestic & Emeror, but much lighter in weight due to thinner metal parts and more plastic in the bottom of the cap assembly instead of Brass (although the ornate band is still metal).

It's also one of the fewer BIG pens you can use with the cap posted and it not feel overly top-heavy. The section is also metal where a lot of other pens in this class use plastic.

In a nutshell: It's decent mid-range pen and one I've carried in my shirt pocket daily for close to a year now.

Top Bottom