Apex Waterfall Bubinga

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

Took a break over the holidays and tried this kit for the first time. Used Waterfall Bubinga and CA finish.

Kit was good and I like the appearance. You have to make a bulb at the nib otherwise it would be too thin. Feels a little top heavy but I really like the styling. Don't CA the plunger as it will scratch going up and down.

Attachments

• klh; 014.jpg
    klh; 014.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 446
  • klh; 015.jpg
    klh; 015.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 422
  • klh; 018.jpg
    klh; 018.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 310
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Interesting. No finish on the plunger or just not a shinny CA finish?
How about a CA finish that you buff to a matte finish before assembly.
No finish on the wood would tend to leave it open to getting dirty.

Nice pen and excellent enhancements.

yorkie

I sealed the plunger with BLO but only CA'd the barrel. I felt like the plunger would get scratched and look grubby very quickly.

Interesting. No finish on the plunger or just not a shinny CA finish?
How about a CA finish that you buff to a matte finish before assembly.
No finish on the wood would tend to leave it open to getting dirty.

Nice pen and excellent enhancements.

turbowagon

haven't seen that style before... interesting! Certainly a beautiful piece of wood.

It reminds me a bit of Richard Greenwald's "Terzo" ballpoint.

firewhatfire

I like the wood, not so sure on the kit. I have a pretty hate-hate relationship with click pens. Working my way through that with the kitless clicks though.

Yorkie - That's a beauty! Absolutely gorgeous bubinga!
Saw the Apex a while back and ordered several. Thought there might be a "learning curve" as there is with some pens - there is. As you mentioned, you really have to figure out how to leave the blank thicker at the tip end. It's in the instr's, though. Plus, assembly is just a wee bit "unstraightforward". Not difficult, you just have to be methodical.
Did the first one for LOML for Christmas - displayed it here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/couple-new-ones-gifts-loml-105571/ . LOML loves it (whew!).
Also - regarding the plunger - I did LOML's in "alt casein" (read acrylic). I made sure to turn and sand it small enough so it doesn't touch the body as it is depressed. It rides clear so I don't anticipate any issues.
I, too, thought it was more than a little top heavy, but LOML says she likes it. We'll see if they sell.

Last edited:

panamag8or

Ted iin Michigan said:
As you mentioned, you really have to figure out how to leave the blank thicker at the tip end.

I turned a different tip profile on each one, to see what worked.

Ted iin Michigan said:
Also - regarding the plunger I made sure to turn and sand it small enough so it doesn't touch the body as it is depressed. It rides clear so I don't anticipate any issues.

Yep, gotta make sure the plunger doesn't bow out at all...DAMHIKT.

yorkie

That looks great in Casein, Ted. Very classy.

Yorkie - That's a beauty! Absolutely gorgeous bubinga!
Saw the Apex a while back and ordered several. Thought there might be a "learning curve" as there is with some pens - there is. As you mentioned, you really have to figure out how to leave the blank thicker at the tip end. It's in the instr's, though. Plus, assembly is just a wee bit "unstraightforward". Not difficult, you just have to be methodical.
Did the first one for LOML for Christmas - displayed it here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/couple-new-ones-gifts-loml-105571/ . LOML loves it (whew!).
Also - regarding the plunger - I did LOML's in "alt casein" (read acrylic). I made sure to turn and sand it small enough so it doesn't touch the body as it is depressed. It rides clear so I don't anticipate any issues.
I, too, thought it was more than a little top heavy, but LOML says she likes it. We'll see if they sell.

Top Bottom