See more from DocRon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocRon

I found a small bambo cutting board at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $7.99 and
cut several half - length blanks from it, enuf for 4 pens. The material turned
very nicely, without any of the expected splintering, unlike palm. I guess the
glue they use to laminate stabilizes it. I think it is a little bland, but has
subtle coloring which I find attractive. This is the "toasted" part of the board,
not the plain yellow section. Oh, the finish is CA/BLO, then buffed.
Whatcha think?

200722819239_bambooAw.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

Good job Al!

Several people have turned bamboo pens here from different sources. CSUSA sells a bamboo blank. I have given a bunch of bamboo flooring samples to others here and they have turned them and I have done a few myself. It is rather a plain wood with not much beauty. I wonder if you could dye it to enhance the grain?

bananajeep

Hey Doc if you like the bamboo cutting board idea check out some of the discount retail stores like Ross or Marshalls. They have the same cutting board, but for even cheaper. I have bought several now for as cheap as 3.99 for the 5/8 inch thick and 9.99 for the 1 1/2 inch thick.

The pen look great.

Mike

DonWood

Yep, I have turned a few from bamboo cutting boards. I found a cutting board that was light and dark bamboo and turned one that I think turned out pretty nice. You can check it out at my web site on the first page for slimlines. Here is the address:
http://www.geocities.com/classiccreationsbydonwood/SlimlinePensPage1.html

Thanks for taking a look.

Don Wood

epossum

I got some bamboo from a guy at eBay. It is basically blanks cut from bamboo plywood. The veneer layers on the faces turned away completely leaving the layered laminations. It actually looks pretty good. Anyway, if you get a chance to try the bamboo plywood you might find it interesting. I know I shoud get up and take a picture of the pen... I'll see if I can take a picture and put it my so-far empty album this weekend for you to check out. I think the photos of the bamboo pens posted here look very good. Some people prefer the subtle grain over the vivid stuff, as I've found when showing my work. I think they're in the minority, though. Most people seem to want wood that makes a statement, and like prominent grain. Personally, I like it all, including acrylics and other blanks not found naturally in nature, though have to admit some disappointment with a piece of olive wood I recently turned. It was REALLY bland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom