Anybody Making Pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodpens

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpens

Penmaking... That's what were here for, right? [8D]

Has anybody made any this weekend? Here's a couple I made for some customers today. (Amboyna Burl and Golden Quilted Myrtle) I guess I need to change my lighting to make the finish show up right. Maybe I need a light up front. Comments welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Very nice Jim. I had never seen a Golden Quilted Myrtle before. I really like the way it looks.

mick

Jim, I'd love to show the pens I've done this weekend, but they'd just get buried under either the Splating thread or the Pentarsia thread. I'll say it one more time folks...Ignore these threads and they'll soon sink to the bottom. Then we can see who bumps em up!
BTW JIm fantastic pens. I will post a couple as soon as I edit the pictures

woodpens

Thanks, Ron. I got it on eBay a long time ago. I paid an arm and a leg for the board. Every now and then, you just have to have something. That is how that auction went. [:p]

Dario

Jim,

Both are wonderful pens...as usual I am partial to amboyna though [:D]

I am preparing for my mid-term exams this coming week but will be in full swing making pens after that :)

We surely need more people like you who really (or still) make pens here LOL

gerryr

Very nice pens. Amboyna is one of my favorites, but I really like the look of the Myrtle also. It did seem that nobody was posting pens there for a while. I made three in the last couple of days but only posted one.

Jim,

I love the amboyna ...it's a greawood for pens, you have done it proud. I have never seen the other wood..it looks like a winner as well..what did it turn like?

I used to get caught up in the eBay craze for pen wood..I have tons of it, I never look at it now...hmmm...I might if I could get it out from under all that expensive stabilized wood I work now...but I think I am addicted to teh stabilized stuff!
[:D]

Again a nice selection....I turned a few the other night at my club demo...but it's 5 deg F outside here today so I am not in the shop..

gerryr

eBay is an expensive place to buy Amboyna Burl, although Gadgetswood sometimes has some with sapwood that looks really outstanding.

clewless

Very nice Jim.

I'm not proficient enough to merit using such good wood. I'm stockpiling the freebies from BB for that time.

Jim in Ont.- I was gonna say it's 18F here and too cold to work...now makes me sound like a wimp...am going to light up the propane heater in a few minutes and will work out there in the 30s.

punkinn

I'm making pens (and more!)! Mostly another project (hmm... speaking of amboyna... hee hee) this weekend. Photos to come when it's done.

An *EXCELLENT* source for quality amboyna is www.globalwoodsource.com This is Russ Jacobson in San Jose, CA and I've bought two "loads" (pen blanks and slabs) of amboyna from him and the pieces are BEAUTIFUL. Great quality, excellent attention to customer needs. I would highly recommend emailing him if you want something special or even "just pen blanks." [:)]

Nancy

terrymiller

I made two pens this weekend Imade my first baron and butchered thetubes when trying to insert into the wood of a church hill kit. I did manage to salvage the pen though.

woodpens

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />I love the amboyna ...it's a great wood for pens, you have done it proud. I have never seen the other wood..it looks like a winner as well..what did it turn like?

I used to get caught up in the eBay craze for pen wood..I have tons of it, I never look at it now...hmmm...I might if I could get it out from under all that expensive stabilized wood I work now...but I think I am addicted to teh stabilized stuff! [:D]

Thanks, Jim. The myrtle turns about like Koa. It may be slightly softer. It took the CA finish real well, but as I mentioned, my lighting setup doesn't show gloss. I will have to experiment with some lights.

woodpens

Originally posted by punkinn
<br />An *EXCELLENT* source for quality amboyna is www.globalwoodsource.com This is Russ Jacobson in San Jose, CA and I've bought two "loads" (pen blanks and slabs) of amboyna from him and the pieces are BEAUTIFUL. Great quality, excellent attention to customer needs. I would highly recommend emailing him if you want something special or even "just pen blanks." [:)]

Thanks for the source, Nancy! They have a LOAD of Amboyna. I like the Snakewood on their homepage too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom