Any golf fans in the house?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

I've been working on this on and off for quite some time now and I'm pleased with how it turned out. A friend donated a golf ball, and I machined a brass insert to act as the cap of the pen, and a Tee from aluminium.

The pen friction fits into the base, so no threads to unscrew with this being a desk pen.

Sprung loaded rollerball refill for very smooth writing.

Etched spiral design. quite mesmerising when you roll the pen on the desk :biggrin:

Maybe I should learn to play golf to warrant having one on my desk :redface: :biggrin:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• golf closed.jpg
    golf closed.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 505
  • golf open.jpg
    golf open.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Brad,
Pics show for me. This is a winner sure!
Great job with thinking outside the pen tube!

I am sure you could market these for the major tournaments!
The tournament name/date etched in the base and you've got a Hole in One for sure!

Ps: I am no golfer...even at putput golf.

Skie_M

Swap that boring round base out for a golf club's head and you'll be scoring birdies all season long.

jttheclockman

Nice pen Brad. Not sure if you were trying for a Tee under the ball or not:)

I make golf ball clocks. take a golf ball and drill a hole for a clock insert. That would look cool on that display.

magpens

Was drilling through the ball any problem ? . Any special technique or bit used ?

Is the inside still a very long rubber band wound around like in the old days of my youth ? :biggrin:

BradG

OUTSTANDING design and execution, Brad !!! No other word is adequate.

Thanks Mal

Nice pen Brad. Not sure if you were trying for a Tee under the ball or not:)

I make golf ball clocks. take a golf ball and drill a hole for a clock insert. That would look cool on that display.

Yes that was my attempt of a golf tee :wink:

Was drilling through the ball any problem ? . Any special technique or bit used ?

Is the inside still a very long rubber band wound around like in the old days of my youth ? :biggrin:

No nothing special at all. Nowadays its just a soft plastic inside which drills out just as easy as a PR blank. stinks a bit ;)

healeydays

Brad,

I'm a golfer and got to be honest, I'm Jonesing for one of these on my desk. I guess I need to head down to the mad scientist laboratory and come up with a design of my own. I think it would also make for a great tournament trophy for my local club.

Mike B

Last edited:

BradG

Brad,

I'm a golfer and got to be honest, I'm Jonesing for one of these on my desk. I guess I need to head down to the mad scientist laboratory and come up with a design of my own. I think it would also make for a great tournament trophy for my local club.

Mike B

You should definitely give it a go. It was a pleasure machining the golf ball

healeydays

Brad,

Mike B

You should definitely give it a go. It was a pleasure machining the golf ball

How many balls did you go thru before you got it right and did your friend try hitting any of the "mistakes"?

healeydays

first ball. really is that easy. just chuck it up, and drill through it. a bit like machining cheese ;)

That's no fun. I'm gonna have to make one mistake ball as when I look at your pen and stand it makes me wonder how it will fly.

My guess is very wacky...

csr67

That is awesome. I'd love to see one with either a steel or carbon fiber gold club shaft as the barrel. Love the tee stand.

bobleibo

Brad
I cannot believe you created that work of art then mounted it on a Dunlop golf ball! :eek: That's the equivalent of adding sugar to a fine wine.
Send it to me and I'll fix it......

jttheclockman

I think someone asked what the inside of a golf ball is made of. There are many different brands and each one has their own ingredients from rubber to composite materials to liquids and the old timers had twine. :)

Here is a photo of a golf clock that I make and I drill a golf ball to accept a clock insert. Here is also a photo of a drilled ball and you can see what this company uses.

Top Bottom