Any Drummers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbostian

jbostian

I made this pen tonight out of a slimline kit and a broken drumstick. It was just a quick project. It isn't the greatest but overall I think it turned out ok. It is drilled a little of center so when you twist the pen the top and bottom don't quite line up. I think I might try to make a few more and take a little more time on them. I know a few drummers that I think would like one. Thanks for looking.

Jamie

Attachments

• Drum1.jpg
    Drum1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 323
  • Drum2.jpg
    Drum2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Drum3.jpg
    Drum3.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 232
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Funny you should post this. I have had six or seven old stix on my bench for some time to make some pens out of as well. Guess, I gotta jump to...

Even with the slight misallignment it is a good looking stick- er, pen.

RAdams

Banned
I have also been wanting to do something with a stick... My son in law plays and he would probably dig something like this... Thanks for posting!

RAdams

Banned
I made this pen tonight out of a slimline kit and a broken drumstick. It was just a quick project. It isn't the greatest but overall I think it turned out ok. It is drilled a little of center so when you twist the pen the top and bottom don't quite line up. I think I might try to make a few more and take a little more time on them. I know a few drummers that I think would like one. Thanks for looking.

Jamie

I am guessing you are a drummer? Ever make your own sticks? That is also a project i wanna visit soon!!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Nice novelty project. It looks great as is or could easily be spruced up with a darker contrasting C/B ring.

jbostian

Thanks for the comments and puns LOL.

I am guessing you are a drummer? Ever make your own sticks? That is also a project i wanna visit soon!!

I wouldn't classify myself as a drummer buy I do own a set. My brother is a drummer and the source of the broken drumstick. I watched a TV show a while ago where the made drumsticks. Of course it was all automated but was still neat. I think it would be pretty cool to try to turn a set. I might give it a try one of these days.

Jamie

jbostian

Good job Jamie . How about a pic of it opened up ? Great idea on the pen .

Thanks but I have to give credit to my dad for the idea. He found one of my brothers broken sticks and challenged me to make a pen out of it. It is just a twist pen but I suppose I could take a pic with the ballpoint tip out. The reason I didn't was because I drilled a little off center and when you twist the pen it doesn't line up too well. I was thinking about a capped pen out of a drumstick but the only kits I have at the moment are some slimlines. It turned out well enough I think I will make some more. The local music shop sometimes has mismatched sets of sticks for a few bucks. I will probably work on trying to perfect the twist style then try a capped pen.

Jamie

RAdams

Banned
take one or two of em to the music store with you. I bet they would about give you some sticks in trade!

randyrls

take one or two of em to the music store with you. I bet they would about give you some sticks in trade!

Yep; I'll bet you could get all the broken sticks you neede if you asked a local drum store to save them for you. Give them a stick pen as incentive. You could also give away a free one monthly to people who donate their broken sticks.

jbostian

That is not a bad idea. There are 2 shops about a mile from my house. They are both smaller local stores not the big chains. I would think the smaller shops would be more willing to trade me.

Jamie

jbostian

My son is a drummer. I need to get ahold of his broken sticks to see what I can do.

Get his broken sticks or borrow a few of the good ones when he isn't looking LOL. It really isn't to hard to make. You just have to be carefull when drilling the lower barrel for the tube. The stick gets pretty skinny at the tip and if you go to far you will go through the side of the stick.

Jamie

I play and have several broken sticks laying around here somewhere. I may just have to play around with the idea.

Thanks for sharing.

Also..... I'm not sure how much luck you'll have checking the music stores for broken sticks. They sell the good ones...... it's us drummers that turn 'em into splinters. But you might be able to hang a flyer asking for broken sticks.

jbostian

I play and have several broken sticks laying around here somewhere. I may just have to play around with the idea.

Thanks for sharing.

Also..... I'm not sure how much luck you'll have checking the music stores for broken sticks. They sell the good ones...... it's us drummers that turn 'em into splinters. But you might be able to hang a flyer asking for broken sticks.

Yeah I am not sure I will be able to get in broken sticks for the music shops but I know one time I was in one one of them looking at some new heads and they had some cheap mismatched sets for only a few bucks. Although one of the local places does over lessons so they may have a few broken sets.

Jamie

Top Bottom