Any Body tried a Shock Absorber Pen yet?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from renowb

renowb

I thought I would try one. Very simple. The only thing to do on the bottom half is insert the refill and screw on the tip. The cap end is simple enough. Turn blank to size and press in parts. I found these parts are on the tight side. One of my blanks shattered, even after chamfering and cleaning out the tube a bit. Check out the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 324
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

You know it's not bad to write with. The only thing I don't like is it uses a mini refill. That is a carbon fiber blank.

W.Y.

Looks nice .

Great work and ingenuity.

I bet it would take top prize in a most unusual pen contest.

Bobalu

I thought I would try one. Very simple. The only thing to do on the bottom half is insert the refill and screw on the tip. The cap end is simple enough. Turn blank to size and press in parts. I found these parts are on the tight side. One of my blanks shattered, even after chamfering and cleaning out the tube a bit. Check out the pics.

I like the carbon fiber touch. I've done three SA's so far and have had mixed reviews from family members. The gals all hate the feel of the pen because they're gripping an open spring. The guys all love it and could care less how it feels in the hand. Go figure.

As for the tight fit on the hardware and the cracked blanks, is it possible you used a carbon fiber blank meant for a Sierra? I ask this, because I almost did the same. At first glance, with the instructions calling for a 27/64" bit, one might assume the pen tube of the SA was the same as a Sierra. There is no mention of tube size in the instructions to make you think any differently.

Then I looked at the catalog and saw that PSI lists the pen as 11mm, with an 11mm bit recommended. I pulled out the calipers and started taking some measurements. Guess what? The kit tube is bigger than the Sierra tube. Not much, but still a tad bigger. Just for the heck of it I pulled the cap hardware off a finished SA and tried it on a spare Sierra tube. Real tight fit, as you mentioned. From the amount the tube expanded, I can see where a blank might crack. Sort of a shame, as I wanted to try the next batch with a longer upper barrel so I could add a clip.

I did 4 of them and had the acrylic laser engraved with the logo of a local garage, walked in to see the owner and sold all 4 plus an order for at least 10 more for the garage's open house. Not bad for a couple of hours.

I don't know how they write and don't care, motor-heads like them and are willing to buy them.

Larry

Got mine yesterday (got 2). Glued up today. Turn tomorrow (will post pics if they're worth showing off). Toughest thing I had to do was select which blank to use. I noticed the blank required is real short. Short enough that I had about a gazillion possibilities in my "offcuts" bag. Finally settled on a piece of brownish Afr Blackwood and a black with white swirls acrylic. We'll see.

Another thing: the tube is 27/64 - same as Gatsby/Wall St II/etc. So if I screw one up, I already have replacement tubes handy.

I agree that the carbon fiber blank looks good (great, actually). No bright colors or anything like that on this pen. Guy stuff only (I crack myself up sometimes).

renowb

I like the carbon fiber touch. I've done three SA's so far and have had mixed reviews from family members. The gals all hate the feel of the pen because they're gripping an open spring. The guys all love it and could care less how it feels in the hand. Go figure.

As for the tight fit on the hardware and the cracked blanks, is it possible you used a carbon fiber blank meant for a Sierra? I ask this, because I almost did the same. At first glance, with the instructions calling for a 27/64" bit, one might assume the pen tube of the SA was the same as a Sierra. There is no mention of tube size in the instructions to make you think any differently.

Then I looked at the catalog and saw that PSI lists the pen as 11mm, with an 11mm bit recommended. I pulled out the calipers and started taking some measurements. Guess what? The kit tube is bigger than the Sierra tube. Not much, but still a tad bigger. Just for the heck of it I pulled the cap hardware off a finished SA and tried it on a spare Sierra tube. Real tight fit, as you mentioned. From the amount the tube expanded, I can see where a blank might crack. Sort of a shame, as I wanted to try the next batch with a longer upper barrel so I could add a clip.

Bob, yes you are right. I did notice that in the catalog it said 11 mm. Then the instructions say 27/64! I would assume the 11mm allows for some expansion during press fitting?

Top Bottom