Antler slimline, first attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DaveO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

Thanks to all the advice I received on this forum I was able to turn my first Whitetail Deer antler pretty successfully. I did run into a bit of marrow on the side not photographed, but it adds a unique touch to the pen.

Copy%20of%20Pens%20180IAP.jpg

Who ever said that turning antler didn't smell great was grossly understating that...it stinks. My wife was doing some PR castings and I welcomed the fumes of of them over the antler stink.
Critiques appreciated :D

Dave:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Looks like you fared well for a first
try at antler;Looks good![:D]Nice shape
to the upper,I see the 2 bands
about where a centerband would be,nice touch.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Nice design and execution.
AS for the "bands"
I used to go through the BS of cutting wire and wrapping it around little dowels so the conducted heat did not burn my fingers.
I now use cotton string.
It will heat and char the area nicely.BUT
I learned not to put CA on the antler or wood until after the lines were burned it.
It seems the CA is so smotth it is more difficult to get a dark line from burning.
I suspect that is what happened here.
A darker line would have more of a contrast.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by guts
<br />Dave,nice job,yep antler stinks but the reward far outwieghs the putting up with the smell.
With a DC mounted near the lathe there is no smell of antler or anything else.

johneaton

Dave,
I am a little different, but I personally love that smell that most people hate. I used to be a meat packer, and I had no choice but to sort of make friends w/ that smell, and I even started liking it.
And it's good to see someone doing antler. I've done a lot of it. In fact, that's about all I use my slimline kits for anymore. It sells very well to my fellow rednecks here in northeast Arkansas. I consider myself an educated redneck. I have accumulated 136 semester hours, but I still prefer my cowboy boots to my topsiders.
Actually, it sells well to their wives, girlfriends, daughters, ect. which they use as gifts. You watch; the pens are for men, but your sales wil be almost exclusively to women.
It sells so well that if I turn a bad one, it still sells easily. If I turn a little fast and get some burn, they don't care. I point out the mistake to the potential customer; they don't care. They buy it.
Best of luck and happy holidays. John Eaton, Jonesboro, AR

DaveO

Eagle, I often do wire burns on pens of this style. I use guitar strings. I didn't realize that you could burn the antler, I figured it wouldn't work and didn't want to mess up what I had already got. I just used a custom made parting tool ~1/32" and made grooves. Well now I know [:D] I'll have to try your cotton string suggestion, sounds cooler (pun intended)
Dave[:)]

P.S. I also used your longer tube suggestion, thanks!

Sorry, hit the submit before finished my comment.. Very Nice pen..
haven't tried to burn horn yet, but I do sue the wire on the dowels..
Eagle, will have to try the cotton string.. I have some nylon string that won't work, too slick and usually melts before it gets hot enough to do anything to the wood.

I have about a bushel full of horn to work up.. guess I need to get started.

BigRob777

Dave,
Very nice work. I keep looking at my small rack, just wasting away on a shelf (my first and only buck - can't hunt anymore). It would be perfect for pens. Maybe some day, when I can air out the shop without freezing my fingers.

Just turn some Argentinian Lignum Vitae (verawood) after you turn the antler and your shop will smell great. Of course, aromatic cedar is nice too, but I prefer the LV.

Merry Christmas,
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom