antler pens and openers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from owlelope

owlelope

I just completed making 50 of the pens and 25 of the letter openers for the local white tail deer banquet as gifts to their sponsors. I did not make much on these but hopefully I can pick up some additional orders.

Rod

deer0003final.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

I just completed making 50 of the pens and 25 of the letter openers for the local white tail deer banquet as gifts to their sponsors. I did not make much on these but hopefully I can pick up some additional orders.

Rod

View attachment 45376

If you did not make much...then perhaps you should rethink your pricing strategy. I am not saying this only because when I was first got into the business side of selling I was looking at what the minimum I was willing to accept for a pen or a set etc. I then thought about what would happen if I did get a large order and knowing that from the consumer side they would expect a discount as they are buying in volume...I would be practically giving my pens away. I was not comfortable with this, so I raised my retail pricing so I can get my minimum pricing on larger orders.

Either way congrats on the order! Hopefully you will get some more profitable sales form this!:biggrin::biggrin:

seamus7227

This is just my opinion, but when I originally started my rifle shell pens, I too, used the nib from the slimline kits. They just didn't have that real look that someone expects when they think of a bullet. So that is why I went to making the real deal! Plus, people know they are getting a genuine rifle shell in a pen and you can charge accordingly. Another thing to remember is the finish on the antler. Try the CA method, get a quality finish on it, and watch 'em sell even faster! Practice practice practice! here are a couple of different styles that you can make: this one is using a cigar mech this uses Berea's twist upper this uses a cross twist and the clip and finial from the euro pen. Check out:

http://www.woodnwhimsies.com

for pen parts. My point is, dont under sell your work. But at the same time, make it look your best! Let your customers know the amount of work involved in making each and every pen. And lastly, stick to your price! Even though this may be your hobby, think about the things you could be doing with your time besides working for less than minimum wage on a bunch of pens that you hope brings you some business. I charge $75 minimum and if people dont like it, then I tell them that I hope that have luck finding the same quality for cheaper somewhere else. Anyway, enough of my lecturing. Do with it what you will. Thanks for reading

Last edited:

owlelope

I looked at the tutorials on using a bullet tip and drilling and soldering the tips but don't have the experience to do that. I have some casings that I might play around with. Can you get just the bullet tip separate? If so, where?

seamus7227

try this website: http://www.midwayusa.com this is where is pick up my casings, I'm sure they carry the bullets also. There is a tutorial on my website on how to do the cross style twist mechanism. I am currently working on my hybrid pen design tutorial which is the kit above that is from berea hardwoods(upper barrel) and the 30-06 rifle shell for the lower portion instead of the fake shell.

seamus7227

I looked at the tutorials on using a bullet tip and drilling and soldering the tips but don't have the experience to do that. I have some casings that I might play around with. Can you get just the bullet tip separate? If so, where?

dont hesitate to ask! experiment with different techniques, expect to make mistakes. then learn from those and perfect your skill! Your customers will begin to see your improvements and want to buy! share your new ideas with them, ask them what they think of your new ideas. Make them feel involved, and that keeps them intrigued.

Snowbeast

Owlelope,
Go to the reloading section of your local gun store and get a box of bullets to fit the caliber of casings that you have. They usually run from about $16 to $25 for a box of 100. I use .308 cases with 168gr. boat tail hollow point bullets because that's what I have.

Easy to work with and not a major investment. Look much better than using a kit nib.

Soldering is an easily acquired skill. Just try what the tutorials say and you'll be doing great in no time.:biggrin:

Anything is possible if you tinker with it long enough and aren't afraid to try something to see 'what happens if I....?' A friend suggested that I make pocket bullet pens using .308 cases as that is the same as the 7.62mm the military uses and we have a bunch of those folks next door. I read the tutorial in the library but didn't have any of the kits that he suggested using. I figured out a way to make the same thing using Slimline components. Different route to get to the same destination.

Give it a try. No one has to know about any learning experiences along the way.

Top Bottom