Antler Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

Kit is from CSUSA---Artist Pencil-- the blank is Deer Antler. This is my second one of these--- I sold the first one last week. These are not fun to make with the blank being so big. That new drill press sure helped---hehehe.
Hope you like it.

2006318234151_antlerpencil.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

Hey Gary nice work. Kind of ironic that you get a DP with a much longer stroke and then make a pencil that requires a longer stroke than the new DP can do. Sounds like something I might do to justify getting yet a bigger piece of equipment. Did you throw a dial indicator on the DP to see how much runout it has? If so, I'd be curious to know how much. Again, nice work on the pencil.

Gary Max

Gerry don't tell anyone but you can't get antler that is straight---I cheat and square it up on a 12 inch disk sander. The real trick is finding the right size---to thin and it will not survive the process and to thick and you have a bunch of marrow ---which looks really bad. So you have to pick out the right hunk to start with.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />Gerry don't tell anyone but you can't get antlter that is straight---I cheat and square it up on a 12 inch disk sander. The real trick is finding the right size---to thin and it will not survive the process and to thick and you have a bunch of marrow ---which looks really bad. So you have to pick out the right hunk to start with.

Why don't you just use antler straightener?
Nice work, I like any natural material that is expertly crafted.

Gary Max

Thank you Frank and everyone else for the kind words.
I am working on getting some of inventory built back up and need some items with bigger price tags.

its_virgil

I turn slightly curved pieces between center until the piece is close to round or becomes straight enough to drill. The marrow in the center can be quite stricking when filled with CA. On elk the marrow has a reddish purple which is the only way a couple of my custoners will take. Each person has their own tastes. Some don't like the marrow to show at all...The outside "bark" on some pieces can be left in a spot or two to make some really stricking pens. Nice looking sketcher, BTW.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />That's nice, but where do you antler that's straight enough for one of those?

Gary Max

No Anthony I hold the camera up-side down. Kinda gives it that different look. Oh the new drill press makes these a whole bunch easier to drill. Did you order yours yet??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom