Antler order

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

I just finished an order for 7 antler pens. The one on the upper right has rattlesnake on the top sandwitched between two slices of mesquite. We called it the "Texas Trilogy". The customer wanted it that way. Not sure I like it, but he did and I like his color of money. Enjoy and comments welcome.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

20068545633_six%20antlers.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Thanks Bob. Maybe I should post a pic of just that pen by itself. Maybe in the morning...G'Night
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by bobaltig
<br />I sure like it Don. It's a nice variation and looks elegant but manly at the same time.

Bob A

Don,
Nice display of pens, shows a wee bit of your range! I like them all, though the kit on the snakeskin , IMHO is a bit plain. But the customer is the one showing his colors and that is what counts, right?

its_virgil

Thanks guys for the comments. I appreciate them. The slimline CB's are fiber washers from http://www.woodturningz.com and I really like them...I think they look nice stacked in threes. I wanted to do the snake/antler in a different kit but the customer wanted the gold-no black stripe and rectangular look of the Berea slimline for that pen and the person who will receive it. Can't argue with the payiing customer.

I didn't notice until I lines the up together that the slimline with the red-white-red band is longer than the other two...must have used the wrong mark on my bandsaw sled. I do make the lower part of slimlines the same length as the lower barrel on the euros. I think they look better than 50-50 as the kit comes.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

its_virgil

Thanks and Yes, I use CA and bolied linseed oil on antler. I start addig thin CA when I get into the porous part of of the antler. I don't make a slurry of CA and dust, just CA. After sanding and using MM, I do my normal CA finish.

Originally posted by thewishman
<br />Nice work, Don, they all look classy. The fiber washers do add a nice touch. Do you use the CA/BLO finish on the antler?

Chris

its_virgil

You want to make a pen with it...or send it to me and a kit and I'll send you a pen back...or just send the antler to me.[:D][:D][:D]
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by chitswood
<br />Oooh, very nice.

I've got some antler that a friend gave me, but i'm not sure what I want to do with it.

Dario

Nice collection you got there.

I will be turning my first antler pen soon and though I've read a ton from the past posts already, any major pointers?[:I]

bonefish

Dario:

Yes, one. If the piece of antler is curved, it is almost impossible to drill end to end without the drill running out the side.

That has been my experience, anyway, but I like the antler to be small enough in diameter so that some bark is left on the finished pen.

Bonefish

its_virgil

Dario,
Antler is hard and takes sharp tools. It is not difficult to turn, just take light cuts at first and you will learn how much you can take off. Each piece is a little different.

Soak CA (thin) into the porous bone marrow part when it starts to appear. I do not use a CA slurry with sanding dust like we do with some woods. Don't like that look, but you may give it a try. You may like it.

Sand as usual and finish with MM. I usually buff with white diamond, apply my CA finish and MM again and buff.

For slightly curved pieces I mount between centers. Turn on the lathe and you can see by the "shadows" if you will have enough to make a pen. Moving the centes will show more or less pen. Find the optimum amount of antler "cylinder", then rough the antler round. Now it is drillable. Since rounding this way first, I have not miss-drilled any blanks. Trying to drill withoug rounding was very frustrating to me. I drill out the side on the exit end LOTS.

If you want some really nice enamel or bond, get hold of some axis antler. The bone marrow vein is tiny and is often drilled out. Each piece of antler will be a little different and I have not figured out a way to know what is inside.

A nice touch is to drill off center and leave a little of the "bark" of the antler's surface showing. It is a very nice touch.

Good luck with the antler.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

[/quote]

Kaspar

Originally posted by its_virgil
The customer wanted it that way. Not sure I like it, but he did and I like his color of money.

Hey, I'd make a pen out of stabilized dog poop if someone paid me enough. And people who ask for seemingly unusual combinations give one a chance to try things they might not have done otherwise.

I discovered the appeal of Pink Pens to the ladies that way.

its_virgil

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Thanks Don,
<b>You're welcome and for the link also.</b>
FYI, Most of my antlers are Axis [:D].
<b>You're one lucky antler owner. My antler supplier is out of axis right now and I'm down to my last piece or two.</b>
BTW, thanks for the email and link [;)]

<b>Do a good turn daily!
Don
</b>

johncrane

Don I think the s/line is still very popular .your customer will be very happy I now I would be. kASPAR I would not make a pen out of dog poop for any amount of money That is way over the line [:(]

its_virgil

Thanks John. I'm glad you like the pen. Maybe I should photograph it separatly so we can get a better look at it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by johncrane
<br />Don I think the s/line is still very popular .your customer will be very happy I now I would be. kASPAR I would not make a pen out of dog poop for any amount of money That is way over the line [:(]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom