antler Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from txbatons

Status
Not open for further replies.

txbatons

Ok...this is really a marrow Jr Gent. [:p] The pieces I used were too thick and all I ended up with was the darker marrow. I tried to fill it with a slurry of CA. I also sanded thru all the MM twice. It has a nice feel...not rough at all.

I was messing around with the light tent today and had almost the right amount of light. I need to add a light from behind the camera to get the reflection of the finish, but that's for another thread.

This is for my little brother who gave me a lot of antlers during the past year.

2007123025539_antler%20jr%20gent%20II.jpg

The standard boring gold cap was replaced with a nice gold star concho. Here's a closeup of the cap.

2007123025554_antler%20cap.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbatons

Originally posted by R2
My only reservation, and I have it with a lot of the bigger pens, is that it is slightly obese.

I agree with ya on that, but I was really concerned about sanding that marrow. Once I got down close to the bushings, the blanks were rough and open and felt like very course sponges. I was afraid that if I was even with the bushings that I'd lose too much material to save the pen.

txbatons

Originally posted by doddman70
<br /> where are you getting the star?

Thanks Shane. I get them at a leather craft supply place in Fort Worth. It's called Hide Crafter. The url is http://www.hidecrafter.com/Home.html

It's called a concho and it takes a little finagling to get it filed down to fit in the recess on the cap, but I use 'em on the pens I give as gifts and like the effect. Got the idea from George (texatdurango) who posted a pen he made with them and set me on the right path.

fernhills

Well that is nice to see and hear,i have a good size chunk of Antler about 1 1/2 rd. with the hard stuff close to the surface,thought it wasn`t good enough,i`ll have to turn it now with a big kit,Very nice pen, I am impressed.. Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom