Antler on Deer Hunter Bolt Action

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skewer

Skewer

Not really sure what to think of this one, so looking for C&C. My uncle gave me some Antler he picked up around his farm in Ohio. I wanted a peice of antler that 'looked like antler.' I chose a nib of towards the base to work from, and ended up with the porous inside sticking out - you can see it under the clip. The one side has a bit of a curve and i got lucky drilling it out - it was so thin before i glued the tube in that i could see light through it. i just sanded it with micromesh - by hand in the sections with the voids. i wasn't really sure on how to finish it otherwise - i'd dump CA into the one side for days.

Attachments

• IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 190
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaeger

Although it is thin in that area, you still have a lot of "bark" and the Shape is still nice.
Nice Pen !!!

Isn't antler FUN to work with!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jaeger

... I wanted a peice of antler that 'looked like antler.' I chose a nib of towards the base to work from,

I do this a lot with antler and if you make a 7mm style pen, whether slim style or a true cartridge pen, you will find some very interesting results.

The sometimes lowly thought of slim has some GREAT options. One example, use a larger Comfort size center band ( or make your own )
and for the upper barrel, by orientating the antler this direction, you can have the clip end almost as wide as you like. You have to allow for the bend in the clip, but you really don't have to size with the standard bushing. Sometimes a Flat portion at this point creates desirable results.
ie: think Camo or Wood or Acrylic on the bottom, antler on top, think about the plating, maybe a little Satin.

Just some tips for the new guys!!

Use up every stinking piece of that Ohio rack,
Did I mention that segmenting can be REALLY fun and you are limited only by creativity.

More later.....
If any interest

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Top Bottom