antler cartridge pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rifleman1776

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

Below is my first cartridge pen. That may come as a shock to some as I am a firearms enthusiast and avid hunter. Truth is, I just don't care for the looks of this style. But, there is a market for these so I'll make some to try to peddle. The 30-06 cartridge came from Gary Max. I gave the brass several coats of laquer. The antler has some CA with antler dust rubbed in then a couple coats of laquer. I used a European kit with Tn gold. The clip will be replaced later with a rifle style.

200782205310_antler%20cartridge%20pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Kemosabe62
<br />They do sell well. my 30-06 shells don't fit the euro nibs I get from CUSA. Is there different size euros?

I don't think there are unless the 8mm Euros are different. Really, I don't know. I never gave it a thought. The pictures from Gary showed the nibs looking good. I just installed and it fit. Now, he did say these are once fired cases. When a round is fired the dimensions do swell. e.g. the case mouth enlarges. Part of the reloading process resizes the brass to a smaller dimension. You might be working with new brass that would be smaller. That's an educated guess. Might be something for someone to experiment with to get a definitive answer. If I get time today, I'll measure some of my brass and try to report on size differences later.

mrcook4570

Frank

Swap out the nib for a slimline nib, it should fit perfectly then. Slimline nib will fit any .30 caliber round. The euro nib will fit any .33 caliber round. Or, if you have a die for a .33 caliber round (e.g. .338 win mag), neck up the .30 caliber case prior to installing the brass tube.

Also, if you have the right dies, you can make almost any cartridge work, even a .223.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom