Antler anyone?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mike_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_O

I just finished up a bunch of deer antler pens for a customer. He has been hunting with the same group of guys for the last 30+ years, and wanted to do something special for them all this year. He even supplied me with a rack from each of his hunting buddies previous harvests. This picture is of the first part of the order that I finished early last month, and the rest of the pictures are in my album.

Cheers,

Mike O

2004112924039_obj40geo40pg3p4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dougle40

All this talk about the smell from antlers , I just found out what you mean , I cut and drilled a set to-day and the smell from just that gave me a hint of what the actual turning will smell like . My grandaughter's boyfriend says that he has quite a few sets for me so I'm looking forward to getting those and trying to turn some .

Fred in NC

Very well done, Mike, and I also like the variety of styles.

Doug, it stinks, stinks, stinks.... I sincerely recommend a space suit with a backpack respirator and filters. Don't forget to post a pic of yourself in that outfit....

Efletche

Very nice pens. Antler is one of my favorite materials to turn too. I don't notice any smell when I turn them though. Of course I work in a hospital and smell cauterized flesh and blood all the time too.

Mike_O

Doug and Fred,

The smell only bothered me when I first started turning deer antler. It doesn't bother me at all any more. Water Buffalo horn, on the other hand, STINKS!

The smell isn't any worse than acrylics, but not nearly as pleasant as the smell of turning ebony or cocobola[:D]!

PenPauli

Very nice pens, I guess I will have to go back to try and drill and turn the blanks I cut a couple of weeks ago. I just couldn't stand the smell from just cutting them to size. But the final results look terrific. I just hope mine come out half as good.

Paul

Daniel

I use a mask that doesn't allow the odor through. this doesn't help the smell in the shop any though. and like the rest I have gotten used to it.
actually a dust mask is a good idea when turning antler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom