Antler and AFrican Blackwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JasonM

JasonM

I've been watching around the boards for some time, but this is my first photo posting. I was happy with the pen/letter opener, but I was also excited to work with the new photo stuff (I got a lightbox setup for Christmas - yay!).

The pen and letter opener are made from antler and 2-tone african blackwood. For the letter opener, I put blackwood bands around each end of the antler to tie the set together.

The wood was a great example of not being able to see what lies beneath. The blank showed much more light sapwood than dark heartwood - even on the ends. But once I got inside, it was almost solid black with a couple nice "swooshes" of lighter colors.

~Jason

Attachments

• Antler_Blackwood.jpg
    Antler_Blackwood.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

That makes a beautiful set. I jst made a pen using AB. I love that wood. What did you use for finish? I don't care for many woods with antler that yours is really an exception. Beautiful.

JasonM

PaulDoug - I've been looking to try some different finishes because I want to learn some new ways to do it. Up until now (and with this set) I've always used the same process that was part of a turning class I took back when I first started:

- sand with micromesh
- hit the wood parts with some danish oil
- then I use a buffer system that goes through three levels of buffing - polish, white diamond, and then finish with carnuba.

Top Bottom