Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fernhills

fernhills

This is the Cigar Antler i was working on yesterday. This was from the very thick part near where it was attached. I thought i would never be able to make a pen from it when i first started to turn Antler, B/C of it being so porous in center. See we learn. Carl

Attachments

• Hpim0834.jpg
    Hpim0834.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Hpim0835.jpg
    Hpim0835.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 145
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Nice job Carl, I'm not a great lover of the copper kits, but the fit looks great, it does get pretty porous near the button of the antler. Fortunately some real smart guy invented CA, I like the contours of the pen, it looks like a comfortable pen to hold and write with :):):)

bad

Nice pen Carl. I'm fairly new to pen turning but I have some deer antler in the garage that I'm planning on playing with as soon as I get my next shipment of pen kits in. I haven't found a supplier of CA yet (I'm in Calgary, Alberta) are there any other finishes that could be used?

Bruce

altaciii

I haven't found a supplier of CA yet (I'm in Calgary, Alberta) are there any other finishes that could be used?

I work alot with antler. I have found that thin ca is the best way to go. it seeps into all the pores of the marrow line. just make sure it has cured well before you start to turn. If not, then you will have ca flinging all over the place. (I learned that lesson real good!) ugh.... by watching someone else do it.

fernhills

Hi, thanks for all your replies. I used several coats of c/a when it was just a tad proud of the bushing. Then i really doused it with thin c/a on the last coat and left it for the night. In the morning i took my skew and lightly took it down the rest of the way. After that i applied about 8 coats of thin c/a and then plastic polish. And i wish i would have known all that when i first picked up a piece of Antler. Carl

Last edited:

PaulDoug

Very nice looking pen. When I finish antler, I put on a few coats of thin and than I switch to thick and put on about 10-12 coats of thick. I use aresol activator between coats. A quick squirt from about a foot away. Been getting some good finishes with that.

Top Bottom