Anthony's favorite color

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Okay, so maybe it isn't, but I had a request for it by one of my best repeat customers. It's a stocking stuffer for her son for Christmas and it is actually his favorite color. This is Emerald Green Acrylester from Woodturningz. This piece seemed a bit more brittle than my homebrew PR but it still turned and polished nicely. In fact, after wet sanding with all 9 sheets of MM I didn't have to use the Novus plastic polish to get the ultra fine sheen I usually do. Oops, I forgot to add that the CB is made up of white and green fiber washers.

200592341039_SL_emrldgrn_acrylace.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look and as always, speak your mind. :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very nice Billy, very simple yet attractive center band. I can't believe I am casting and making green pens [^] My, what we do for cash [:D] Give the customer what they want, nice sell.

alamocdc

Thanks, all! The swirl in it is really nice, but it kinda washed out on me because of the flash I think. The only thing I don't like about the fiber washers is that they are drilled to 7mm instead of 1/4". This means that you either have to glue them to a piece of tube, or leave one of the blanks short and glue them to the end of it (unless you want them to be loose and uneven. I actually don't use either of these methods, but glue them to the end of the blank tubeless (this can cause problems if you aren't careful).

BigRob777

Billy,
OK, novice here, but do you use 2 bushings when you make your own CB and turn the pen whole, so to speak? It is a great shape and kit (comfort grip?). I haven't a clue what fibre washers are, though they do look very nice on your pen, which almost makes me like green. [^] I'm a die-hard wood fan, but you folks are starting to make me rethink that.
Rob

WoodTurningz

BigRob - The fiber washers are a product that we carry on our website: http://www.WoodTurningz.com - The only problem is that the # available is coming to an end since the fiber sheets are not made in colors anymore. We've got about 30 packs of the combo packs available then black is gone for good - other colors will start to disappear as time goes on as well - (Otherwise we would stock it in other sizes - Sorry Billy!)

Thanks -

...Ryan

alamocdc

Thanks again for all the compliments and thanks, Ryan, for fielding one of Rob's questions. Too bad about the washers, there are times when I think they are a better option than the BWB, or WBW pick guard. Rob, it is a slimline, not a comfort grip, and I don't put a bushing in between my blanks when I do this style. Actually, I start out with a bushing in the middle, but once I get the blanks turned down to round and past the barrel trimmer cut, I move it to the end. That way I get a dead even match up between the barrels when I'm finished. I use the same technique on both PR and wood. I hope that made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom