Another Upside Down Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

Well, I saw the pen that Steve Roberts posted and it looked pretty interesting, although there was a bit too much metal for me. So, I decided to try one and planned on eliminating all the metal except the clip. Unfortunately, my skew had other ideas about my wood CB, so I had to add in the normal Jr. Gents CB. This pen is not without it's problems, but I like the concept. There are several things I will do differently next time and the first will be to get a Beall collet chuck. Turning the finial without one was a nightmare and it isn't precisely square. The wood is Bubinga and the finish is CA.

200632001541_Pict0100.jpg

And here it open.

200632001621_PICT0101-2.jpg

OK, fire away.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Very nice workmanship. I think the pen looks nice uncapped, but looks awkward and off, when capped. The lines don't flow for me. This is not a critique of your workmanship though, cause that is top notch! Thanks for sharing.

Fangar

Watch our for the ink running out of the refill when it is upside down. I carry fountain pens and always put them in my container upside down, when not in use, so they do not dry out and the ink fills the cap once in a while. Tough on shirt pockets. I like the concept and the workmanship is good and unigue

gerryr

James,
I agree with your comment about the shape of the cap. I was afraid to turn it down to match the flow of the main barrel because I used the 15/32" bit to drill it full length, 1.9" although I only used a piece of tube about 3/4" long. That's another thing to correct on the next one. Now, if I could just figure out how to cut my own internal threads......

SteveRoberts

<b>Hmmm very nice! I am glad you tried it, the whole point of this pen is the feel. For myself, I feel that caps get too much of the glory in many designs, to any and all rollerballs don't drip at any angle.

I wish more people would turn and hold one. All you do is put a spare Baron or Jr. Gent cap and finial on a Gent kit and poof inovation. I also heavily altered dimensions.

Steve</b>

SteveRoberts

I agree, I used a more pen long cap short ratio, I think that helps.

Originally posted by Fangar
<br /> I think the pen looks nice uncapped, but looks awkward and off, when capped. The lines don't flow for me. Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom