Another twist nib

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi all, this pen caused me no end of grief. First my medium CA wouldn't stick the laminations and I had to clean it up and use the instant stuff, then I forgot to shorten the bottom tube and had to drill it out (scary) and to top it all the tranny fell to bits because the shiney sleeve wasn't crimped on. The ring in the middle is just a bit of ali tube with the blank off cut turned and stuck in.
I know it looks scratched in the pic but it is actually not to bad in the flesh. Although I quite like it now, I'm not sure it was worth all the effort. My eldest son has his eye on it, so it looks like it will get a home anyway.:)

200721023215_100_1261.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Ofcourse it was worth the effort. It is a fine looking pen, and one that is totally different from anythjing you will find in the kit catalog.

Don't quit now. The next one will be easier.

broitblat

I really like it! Very nice design elements and they work well together. I'd say it was worth the trouble. You know what they say -- you have to suffer for your art [:)]

-Barry

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks all for nice comments.

Scott, ( Blind Squirrel) I don't know how to add a link to a previous thread but it you go back in SOYP recently. There are several descriptions from my topic of 'One for Russ' to his Topic explaining the improvement with the additional tube near the nib.

Cheers

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Sure Ang, not difficult at all really.
1. decide which sides of your blank are flattest, usually the uncut sides. (Selecting these ensures a gapless joint)
2. split the blank down the middle along the 'rough' side, I use a band saw. No need to be too straight, freehand is fine
3. I had a strip of ali that I also split down the middle.
4. glue the two bits of ali on one of the flat sides of one of the blanks leaving a gap between them about the same distance as the thickness of the ali, then glue the other half of the blank on top.
Your finished 'glue up' now has a small square hole down the middle which really helps to guide the drill bit.
5. On this one I simply went further and drilled a hole through the centre, perpendicular to the ali and inserted the ali tube. If you look at the foto, you will see that I was ever so slightly 'off' centre with this hole. [B)]
6. Turn the blank off cut and fill the tube

I wanted to use medium CA to give me time to get the ali in line, but I think my CA must be off, as it wouldn't stick. Fast CA did it though.
Hope this is clear[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom