Another try at putting wood together!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bsshog40

bsshog40

So I took a spalted maple blank and used my scroll saw this time to cut some waves in it. I then put some walnut burl veneer down the middle and cap it off with some zebra wood and spruce veneer. Didn't turn like I wanted it to so I thought I'd just let y'all have a look at it. The kit is the Classic Rollerball.

Attachments

• Rollerball 12 21 18.jpg
    Rollerball 12 21 18.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 294
  • Rollerball 2 12 21 18.jpg
    Rollerball 2 12 21 18.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I just lucked out on getting them to match. Lol I had to soak the veneer in water. I actually cut 3 pieces of the veneer, soaked them in water for a few minutes and then slowly clamped the wood together. I let it sit overnight to form and dry. After they dried, I just unclamped, glued and reclamped.

bsshog40

Looks very good to me !!!

Don't get why you said "Didn't turn like I wanted it to." ... because it looks really good !!!
I think it's because I didn't get an exact drill on my blank. I was wanting the wave lines to match up a little better! I'm OCD. Lol

magpens

Yes .. the lining up of the wave lines could be better, but I still think it is an excellent result, especially given that this is your first attempt at such a thing. . The ideal alignment is pretty tricky to do.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I think it turned out great Bobby. I have always wondered why more folks do not use end caps like these, to me they are easy and add considerably to the final pen.

Well done.

bsshog40

Yea I like the way end caps either end a design or just offset the color of another wood.
Thank y'all for your comments!

bsshog40

Yea I'm trying to come up with other ideas. Right now I have an ace in hole for the contest, unless I can get something else to turn out better. Lol

Top Bottom