Another Spalted Front Yard Maple. This one on an Aero

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from joefyffe

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Still getting rid of that Maple Stump in the front yard. Don't know what next year holds, another one died last year! What am I going to do with allllllll this wood? Make pens, I guess. As always C and C appreciated! Hardware is Black Ti and Chrome Aero, from Berea. Blank stabelized in Cactus juice and finished with CA

Attachments

• AERO 001_2489x1394.jpg
    AERO 001_2489x1394.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 259
  • AERO 003_2634x1401.jpg
    AERO 003_2634x1401.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 247
  • AERO 002_2780x1280.jpg
    AERO 002_2780x1280.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That looks really good. I've always left my tubes a bit more concave, but it looks just fine the way you've got it! :)

If you need help getting rid of that wood, I'll PM you my address. :)

SDB777

Always some interesting figuring in those stumps, but I'm always too scared to go running the chunks through the bandsaw(found one rock, one time and I've been 'gunshy' ever since-blades ain't cheap-and they don't cut when half the teeth are gone:eek:).

Don't see these pens done in a straight body often, it's an interesting look! Was the stabilizing absolutely necessary, or did you do it as a 'just-in-case' thing? Regardless, it sure does have some nice coloring, and the spalt is nice touch!!!!

Scott (got stumps?) B

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks Scott: Reference stabilization, the c/a finish would probably have been adequate, but I recently purchased Curtis' vacuum chamber and some Cactus Juice, so wanted to :monkey: around, a bit!:)

Always some interesting figuring in those stumps, but I'm always too scared to go running the chunks through the bandsaw(found one rock, one time and I've been 'gunshy' ever since-blades ain't cheap-and they don't cut when half the teeth are gone:eek:).

Don't see these pens done in a straight body often, it's an interesting look! Was the stabilizing absolutely necessary, or did you do it as a 'just-in-case' thing? Regardless, it sure does have some nice coloring, and the spalt is nice touch!!!!

Scott (got stumps?) B

SDB777

Ah.....so you were actually just looking for something to play with and experiment on....and stumbled on this great timber in the yard. Now, if I read correctly, you've killed another tree to get some more:wink:

Scott (don't blame ya, I do the same thing) B

Thanks Scott: Reference stabilization, the c/a finish would probably have been adequate, but I recently purchased Curtis' vacuum chamber and some Cactus Juice, so wanted to :monkey: around, a bit!:)

Scott (got stumps?) B

Spalted wood is always very beautiful. Then add cactus juice and things just start getting more interesting. Try dying some of those. Dye takes really well into spalted maple.

Top Bottom