Another Skip Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi All, nothing really fancy this time except maybe the wavey joints between the acrylic and copper. Real easy to do. Any guesses how? The copper is from a 16mm threaded stud from a blown up transformer. The nib used 4 different size drill bit to make. Hope you like it:D

2007613863_copper3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks for the kind comments, I'm quite pleased with it too.[:D]
Billy, I'm not too worried about tarnishing. The last ones I made with copper have dulled but look good still. As it is acrylic and there is no plating to rub off, who ever gets it can just chuck some Brasso over it to bring it back to life.
Of course, when I took the pic 'just so' it was to show the curve at the joints. This 'curve' was done with the 4th drill bit. Instead of just cutting the copper to length with a hacksaw I drilled through it with a drill that was a bit bigger than the copper. I then filed the acrylic ( left about 5mm too long )with a rough arch shape. With the normal SL tube holding the copper and acrylic in line and held gently in a vice, I warmed up around the joint with a heat gun while gently closing the vice. This forced the acrylic to form itself perfectly with the copper. I allowed it to cool completely before removing from the vice and glueing it up. The squashing takes up most of the 5mm.
The other 3 drill bits were just steps for the tube and refill. I wanted to make sure that I would not taper the copper into the drilled holes so there is a 2mm hole for the front of the refill, a 4mm hole for the body of it and of course a 7mm for the tube.
Easy huh?[:D]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Great looking pen, Steven. So when are you going to start selling your "kits?"[:D]

I've never sold a pen yet[:(] except for the few that have found homes, the rest just sit in a box in my shop collecting dust,as for the kits they are freely available in any skip ( Dumpster for you foreigners [8D] )near you.

But Gerry, if you really want, I can send you tons of stuff that just sits down the side of my house and waits for collection on Tuesday mornings[:D]. You will have to pay for shipping and it may pong a bit by the time you get it.[:D]

Scott

Hi Steve!

I really like the way this turned out. Exceptional! A question - After the squashing process, is the formed acrylic adhered to the copper, or do you have to then glue it to the metal as you glue up the tube? Thanks!

Scott.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Scott
<br />Hi Steve!

I really like the way this turned out. Exceptional! A question - After the squashing process, is the formed acrylic adhered to the copper, or do you have to then glue it to the metal as you glue up the tube? Thanks!

Scott.

Hi Scott, no glue while squashing. Once the acrylic has cooled and re-hardened I removed it from the vice, slip the copper and acrylic off the tube then glue the bits back onto the tube. I did make sure that when I glued them, that I had them in the same orientation as they were when being squashed, just incase.

Edit in; Scott's question just got me thinking. I've heard and read here that delrin is vertually impossible to stick to anything. And the only way to stick it is to heat fuse it?? Does anyone know if this method I've used will do the trick to stick delrin to something else???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom