Another Segmented Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimBobTucson

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimBobTucson

I have never been too proud to copy a good idea. Thanks Micheal.

Here is a Herring Bone segment pattern done with Maple, Paduak, and Leopard wood with Ebony trim. All the wood is wrapped around a chunk of turquoise Tru-Stone on a Black Titanium & Platinum Sierra. Finished with BLO/CA.

Know, if I can just learn how to drill the darn blank straight...

2007121524650_Harringbone001_320x213.jpg

2007121524836_Harringbone002_399x600.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Hi, is that being cast or are you just glueing it up in that container,do you drill it like in the way shown in pic or do you sq.it off somehow..very cool,,carl

JimBobTucson

To answer fernhills' question:

Originally posted by fernhills
<br />Hi, is that being cast or are you just glueing it up in that container,do you drill it like in the way shown in pic or do you sq.it off somehow..very cool,,carl

No, this is a glued up segmented blank. The casting model just made for a convenient non-stick surface. After I glued up the segment, I squared it up on the tablesaw and drilled it in a pen vise.

I will make up another one soon, and do a quick little photo presentation of my process. The idea of doing this brings back bad memories from my engineering classes may moons ago though.

JimBobTucson

To answer your question:

Originally posted by MikeyTn
<br />What type of glue are you using to hold all those segments together?
I used a variety of glues on this pen. The ebony veneers were glued to the strips of maple, padauk, and leupard wood with common wood glue. Then all the segmented pieces were assembled with med. CA. Finally, the blank was drilled and the tube was glued in using 5min epoxy.

The blank is very susceptable to blowout, a sharp skew and a light touch is a must.

JimBobTucson

As promised, I have been putting together a photo tutorial for building this segmented blank. I have finish taking all the pictures and will have the tutorial finish soon.

As a result, I now have an extra blank. Anyone who knows me well, knows I rarely ever make the same thing twice. I have no desire to turn this blank. I will offer it for trade for another rare, unique, or original blank. I will also consider trades for upper end FP or RB kits. It is sized for a Sierra kit, but could be used with other kits. It measure about 3/4"sq x 2-1/2" long and has not been drilled yet.
200712190426_new%20blank001_640x426.jpg
<br />

alxe24

I hope you don't mind but I like your pen a lot so I touched the photo a bit so it's more clear.

2007121953747_Segmented.jpg
<br />

Originally posted by JimBobTucson
<br />I have never been too proud to copy a good idea. Thanks Micheal.

Here is a Herring Bone segment pattern done with Maple, Paduak, and Leopard wood with Ebony trim. All the wood is wrapped around a chunk of turquoise Tru-Stone on a Black Titanium & Platinum Sierra. Finished with BLO/CA.

Know, if I can just learn how to drill the darn blank straight...

2007121524650_Harringbone001_320x213.jpg
<br />

2007121524836_Harringbone002_399x600.jpg
<br />

MikePittman

Now that looks great Jim! Thanks for showing the before and after pics too. I like your pen better than the one I did! Isn't it fun though?! It really looks fantastic and I like the color design. Now you have inspired me to do another one! [:)] If you do another, please email me the pic's. Merry Christmas to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom