Another segmented Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darrylm

darrylm

This is a pen that I made for one of the girls I work with. She's giving it to her husband for his birthday this weekend. It's a black titanium jr gent ii rollerball. There are 200+ jatoba and maple segments. I finished the pen with CA/BLO.

tn_segmentedjrgent004.jpg

tn_segmentedjrgent005.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how this one came out. I managed to drill the cap a little more centered than the body. The body is off center a little bit, I need to work on that. I've been consifering getting a drill chuck to drill my holes on the lathe. Do most of you find this makes for more accurate drilling?

comments and critiques are welcome. thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Looks awesome!
This style blank represents a ton of work,
and you did a great job.:D
Yes,drilling on the lathe will help keep you centered.

MikePittman

That is a beautiful pen, absolutely beautiful! I make a lot of segmented pens too and fine that the closer you drill to the center, the better the results. You may be off a little on your pen, but I would have never known unless you told. Great job!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
To date, I've only drilled on my lathe. The one thing that bothers me is mounting the blank. I use a Oneway Talon chuck which puts 2 dents on each face of the blank. I worry that for brittle materials this will lead to cracks.

darrylm

Thanks guys. I really like making these style pens. I think my next order with CSUSA or Woodcraft will include one of those drill chucks. I have a couple more segmented pens in line to make, plus I'm working on completing a small night table for my oldest daughter. Hope to get some shop time tomorrow after the bunny visits...

Top Bottom