Another request for V-Day...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from penhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
A good friend asked I make her a slim pen for her daughter for Vaentines day..the bottom is osage orange which didn't turn out red enough to me..so I hit it with red analyne dye..

Thanks for looking.!

200521412726_slimlineheart.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

Nice pen, I like the heart!
If you want a good red wood, try blood wood. It is a beautiful dark red turns and finishes like a dream and smells great!
There is also red heart which runs from dark pink to light red!

PenWorks

Nice touch John, I'm sure it exactly what he was thinking of [:)]

Why would you think ossage orange would turn out RED, isn't it yellow? Nice dye job.

Anthony

Gary

Originally posted by elody21
<br />Nice pen, I like the heart!
If you want a good red wood, try blood wood. It is a beautiful dark red turns and finishes like a dream and smells great!
There is also red heart which runs from dark pink to light red!

Alice is right about the bloodwood. It makes a beautiful deep red pen. You have to be careful with it though, because it is often found with a somewhat open grain pattern. Be sure and remove the sanding dust thouroughly when sanding. It takes more that just wiping it off. I use compressed air. If you don't remove it all, you can end up with light-colored (even white, depending on the sandpaper you are using) specks embeded in the grain and it will show when the final finish is applied.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I should have had my coffee before I wrote that - it wasn't OsageOrange..it was padauk...sorry [:(]

Originally posted by penworks
<br />Nice touch John, I'm sure it exactly what he was thinking of [:)]

Why would you think ossage orange would turn out RED, isn't it yellow? Nice dye job.

Anthony

JRowan

Gary, actually Osage Orange has the yellow color in the sapwood only, the heartwood is a deep orange color.

If you want something really neat looking get a good size branch from an Osage Orange tree, chuck it up and start turning. Make sure you leave some of the yellow on and get down into the orange a ways. Almost makes it look like you died one or the other.

Gary

Originally posted by JRowan
<br />Gary, actually Osage Orange has the yellow color in the sapwood only, the heartwood is a deep orange color.

If you want something really neat looking get a good size branch from an Osage Orange tree, chuck it up and start turning. Make sure you leave some of the yellow on and get down into the orange a ways. Almost makes it look like you died one or the other.

I grew up in Oklahoma and spent the better part of my teenager years cutting down Bois d' Arc trees along the fence lines and splitting it into fence posts. I joined the army at 18 to get off that dam* farm. I never saw any deep orange heartwood. I saw a lot of white phloem, a whole lot of yellow sapwood, and some brown heartwood. The only deep orange I've seen was on ebay where they doctored the photos on a photo editor. But then I haven't seen every piece that nature ever made...although, at 18 I sure thought I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom