Another prototype with a Military Ribbon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jwalt191

jwalt191

Another pen made using a Vietnam Service Ribbon. The stars are ribbon devices, used to signify the number of ribbons received. The bottom barrel was made using squares of leather stacked up to create the blank. This pen was made for my dad who recieved 4 vietnam service medals while he was serving in the USMC. The bottom barrel was to resemble the handle of a Ka-Bar knife used in the Vietnam war. Any and all crtiques and comments will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2008219175816_100_7683mod.jpg

200821918748_100_7685mod.jpg

20082191880_100_7689mod.jpg

A picture of the medal.
2008219182050_medal1.jpg

A picture of the ribbon.
2008219182112_ribbon1.jpg

Jim Walter
www.jilly-bella.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
Nice pen idea. I spent 2-1/2 yease in Vietman and the stars mean service tours in country.

BrentK

I am not a Nam vet but a Marine Vet that is a very nice pen I love the idea with the leather to resemble the K-bar handle. Very nicely done. I only hope when I start turning my work will be even close to yours. Just two more days lathe will be here on thursday.
Brent Keever
Maurice La.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Excellent job Jim!!! I also really liked the first one you did.:D Did you manage to find another ribbon to use, or did you have to use your Dad's one?

wjskip

What you have done is a wonderful tribute to each and every person who served in Viet Nam. I am sure there are many of us who truely appreciate what you have done.
Thank You

hughbie

the stars, are they the actual stars? did they fit on the ribbon and throughout the turning and not come through?
i guess i'm asking, is there enough clear poly to avoid hitting the stars when your turning it?

jwalt191

I have bought some more ribbons so I do not have to use what my dad has. I basically used the same procces as outlined in Dons snakeskin tutorial. (Very excellent). I statred by painting the brass tubes silver. Then I removed the ribbon from the mount, and wrapped it around the tube. I had to use Tackey? fabric glue, because CA discolored the ribbon to much. I next glued the 3 stars to the ribbon using the same fabric glue. (Next time I will try to get the stars straighter.) I then cast them using clear PR resin from Mr. Fiberglass. For the bottom barrel, I cut approx 3/4" squares from some nice Burgendy colored leather, I then punched a 1/4" Dia hole using a gasket/leather punch. The 1/4" was a little tight, but I was able to form them on the brass tube. Put each square on the brass tube with a layer of thick CA between, and use a clamp to squeeze them all together. After the CA cured fully, square the ends, and turn like normal. (Don also has a wonderful tutorial on this I just found the other day on the Pen Makers Guild. A little to late for this pen, but suprissanly similar.) For the 2 gold bands in the bottom barrel, I cut a small v type groove with my skew, and wrapped gold thread in the groove. Finish off with mor CA Glue and a CA finish, and it turned out pretty good. I did a Euro pen hoping the stars would not break out, and the rounded shap of the upper barrel held quite a bit also. I have some pictures of more ribbons in the different stages of cast, and if I remember, I will post them tommorrow. Thank you for all the great comments, and if you have any suggestions, especially from a guld member, hint, hint, Please lett me know. Thanks.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
What an undertaking it must have been , to make this pen . And so well produced . Your Dad is fortunate in many ways . Great job , man !

EddieO

Absolutely beautiful pen! No, make it Outstanding!! Former sailor here, you must be very proud of your dad. He helped pave the way for our future, for our freedom. Please tell him I said "Thank you for your Service"

its_virgil

Great job on the pen and the execution. You've now learned two techniques that lend themselves to unlimited possibilities. thanks also for the comments on my tutorials. I appreciate the "plug" you gave me...twice. Thanks again and as others have said, your Dad is a lucky guy...and thanks for his service to the USA...and to the other vets we have here.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

jwalt191

Here is a picture of the ribbons cast and waiting to cut up. From left to right are Iraq Campaign Ribbon, Puprle Heart, Iraq Campaign, and Vietnam Service Ribbon.

200822016265_100_7758mod.jpg

Thanks
Jim

Top Bottom