Another pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from H2O

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dthayer

Those are all really nice. I have to agree with @Sappheiros -- I really like the blank on the top pen. Looks like a Hubble photo. Very cool!!

H2O

They were all given away, but the top one was liked by a few people that wanted one. However, I don't keep track of how I mix the colors when I cast them, so I wasn't able to reproduce it for them.

Sappheiros

They were all given away, but the top one was liked by a few people that wanted one. However, I don't keep track of how I mix the colors when I cast them, so I wasn't able to reproduce it for them.

Well, that makes it all the more special! :biggrin:

H2O

For some reason I can not see your photos.

I don't know why you're unable to view the photos. They show for me and I guess for some others. I'd be happy to send them directly to you, if you like.

Well, that makes it all the more special! :biggrin:

I suppose, but I should have kept track of what I did. I never thought someone would want the same pen as another.
I mix my colors until I like the way it looks, so there's nothing scientific. It would probably be difficult to keep it organized.

Sappheiros

I suppose, but I should have kept track of what I did. I never thought someone would want the same pen as another.
I mix my colors until I like the way it looks, so there's nothing scientific. It would probably be difficult to keep it organized.

Maybe you'll need to get one of those GoPros! But more seriously, I'm thinking I should vlog my experiences as I get started and go on. Good for reference.

jsolie

I like them, and I hope that those who received them are still enjoying them.

That sounds exactly like how my castings have gone...lol I suppose I should try keeping track, just so that there's a minute chance I could re-create something.

H2O

I like them, and I hope that those who received them are still enjoying them.

That sounds exactly like how my castings have gone...lol I suppose I should try keeping track, just so that there's a minute chance I could re-create something.

There have been a couple of people asking about refills, so I believe they are using them.
I've given away all of the pens that I've made.

I didn't keep track of anything for several reasons. Most importantly, I never expected to make more than a few pens, so why bother writing down the mixture? I never intended to sell any cores or pens, so I didn't need to re-create anything. Then after being asked for something I've done previously, and not being able to do so, I thought if I did re-create a specific color, it is no longer unique. Similar to using wood or any of the available plastics from the common sources. Even though the grain in woods and swirls in plastics can vary slightly, it's still the same material and look very similar. Nothing unique from any other pen maker. Purchase a wood or plastic piece and a kit, which both are available from so many sources, and you have a pen, very much like any pen maker from around the world.

All of my pens, are unique. Not special, outstanding, or better than anyone else's pen... just unique. So you too have unique pens.:wink:

Last edited:

BSea

I didn't keep track of anything for several reasons. Most importantly, I never expected to make more than a few pens, so why bother writing down the mixture? I never intended to sell any cores or pens, so I didn't need to re-create anything. Then after being asked for something I've done previously, and not being able to do so, I thought if I did re-create a specific color, it is no longer unique.

All of my pens, are unique. Not special, outstanding, or better than anyone else's pen... just unique. So you too have unique pens.:wink:
I disagree. Even the same mixture can have a wide variety based on how you do the pouring. In fact I doubt you could come close to reproducing the effects from pen to pen using the same mixture no matter how hard you try. So don't shy away from doing the same mixture. Resin is similar to wood. Even blanks from the same board will produce a unique pen.

H2O

I disagree. Even the same mixture can have a wide variety based on how you do the pouring. In fact I doubt you could come close to reproducing the effects from pen to pen using the same mixture no matter how hard you try. So don't shy away from doing the same mixture. Resin is similar to wood. Even blanks from the same board will produce a unique pen.

I haven't made enough pens for it to matter, and even though the patterns, swirls, proportions, etc. can be different, the colors are still the same.
It may or may not make a difference to the recipient, but personally I rather make many different colored casts, rather than a bunch of the same colored casts. More variety for the occasional caster.

From the standpoint of selling, it might make sense to cast a large batch of the same combination, to save time and increase profit, since a seller doesn't care about how many pens are made from the specific color combination.

If you were to take two pen makers, have them use the same materials (wood/plastic) and put it on the same kit, with the same treatment (painting tube/hole, etc.) and give it the same shape, will anyone know who made which pen? The pen will only be different in that the pattern/swirl, or grain might be slightly different.
The recipients of my pens, never mentioned the swirl, only the colors. So how much of a difference does this make to an individual? Do they choose a pen based on the pattern, or the color?

Curly

I understand your reasoning H2O for single batch one of a kind blanks for yourself but there is a reason for bigger batches for the custom / kitless makers. One standard blank isn't long enough for a pen where the section, barrel and cap are from the same material. So two are needed as a minimum. That however means half of the second blank is waste. With three blanks, two pens can be made with minimum to no waste. Well as long as we don't screw up that is. ;) That's why some blank makers provide 9" long product to satisfy that small segment of the market.
Keep having fun.

Top Bottom