Another pen,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fay Prozora

Fay Prozora

There are a few flaws in this one too but it will get better. It is a slim line but I deliberately made the big shape on the pen so I can get ahold of it with my arthritis and such. I'm having a little bit of trouble getting the edges to the bushings like it is supposed to be but I guess that will improve too but I got a nice shine on it and I got the twist thing in right so the point comes out like it is supposed to. I like this pen better than the first one. Thanks for looking. Oh yes the wood had a nasty crack in it and I was afraid it would break like the last pen I was working on did. I couldn't save that one but I put some CA glue over the crack and let that dry and gave it some sanding and now it looks like wood grain so you can't even tell there was a crack in the wood...Great save on my part....Fay

Attachments

• My 2nd pen-1 (640x480).jpg
    My 2nd pen-1 (640x480).jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 237
  • @nd pen-2 (640x480).jpg
    @nd pen-2 (640x480).jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 197
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Great save Fay, this pen is as you said a little on the large size but that is by design in this case. You will get better and better at getting down to the bushings. It all takes time and practice. You have done a very nice work here and you should be very proud of yourself. Keep on turning and showing off you will get there we were all right where you are at one time or another.

plantman

Fay; Great job of making a personalized pen for yourself. Don't fret to much about matching the bushings exactly, they may not be the same size as the fittings in your kit. Learn to rely on a digetal readout calipers. Harbor Freight $10. Buy the ones with the metal blades not the plastic ones. Measure your fittings first and than turn to those dimentions. Use the bushings for getting close to size only. The twist thing (transmission) has an indented ring around it. Insert the twist thing just shy of this mark and check to see how far your point comes out. If not far enough, press in a little bit more until you are satisfied with the results. As Mike said, we have all been at this point at one time in our journey. Don't be afraid to ask about any problems or questions that come up !! There are plenty of us on this site that have had to face them at one point or another. Jim S

Last edited:

Fay Prozora

That bulge in the pen is where the big crack was and I liked the results of that. I think I will slim it down a little bit and it will be better. I agree,, all things take practice and we were at Home Depot today and calipers are some thing that I forgot to look for. I like the idea of digital ones but I do have a couple of Ward's but then I will have to try to read the dern things as I can't see with out my mags....I do like this pen better than the first one... Fay

plantman

That bulge in the pen is where the big crack was and I liked the results of that. I think I will slim it down a little bit and it will be better. I agree,, all things take practice and we were at Home Depot today and calipers are some thing that I forgot to look for. I like the idea of digital ones but I do have a couple of Ward's but then I will have to try to read the dern things as I can't see with out my mags....I do like this pen better than the first one... Fay

The reason for the digital calipers is t,hat the readout is quite large and can be switched from inches to mms, zeroed, and turned on and off with the press of a button. Also times out and shuts off by itself. I liked the first one. Jim S

Cwalker935

Nice pen. I recently posted a question about a pen for someone with arthritis and Len suggested that a click pen may be easier to use than a twist pen. You might want to consider a click pen for one of your future pens. If you do, make sure that you trim the barrels to the right length. What diameter did you use for the largest section?

Fay Prozora

Nice pen. I recently posted a question about a pen for someone with arthritis and Len suggested that a click pen may be easier to use than a twist pen. You might want to consider a click pen for one of your future pens. If you do, make sure that you trim the barrels to the right length. What diameter did you use for the largest section?

I'm not sure, I just eye balled it but if I try that again I will slim it down a little bit. I kind of work that way. I will get a digital caliper one of these days and keep a tablet and of course one of my pens on had to write down any type of measurements. The bulge makes the pen look shorter. Well back to the lathe this a.m. Fay

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Nice job Fay - keep a turnin' & learnin'

I had trouble getting down to the bushings on my couple of pens too - just takes getting used to the turning tools & getting comfortable with the lathe.

Fay Prozora

Thank you Dick, That is a real nice caliper. I may order it when we get back from camping this weekend. We are going to Fareholm over there by Crecent Lake to meet up with our brother and his family and then it will be a nice family camping trip. He likes to rough it and we have a camper so we have some comfort... LOL I hope there will be a hook up there so we'll have some electric. I don't really like cooking over a camp fire. It's fine once in a while but certainly not when it is raining. At least we will have propane so we can cook on the stove.. LOL! Have a great day and thank you all for the nice complements on my pen. Fay

OZturner

Nice Work, Fay.
The Customer is always right.
A pen has to look and work properly for it's Owner, and no one else.
So if a particular design or shape is what you wanted and it works for you then it is Great.
I love your enthusiasm, Keep them coming.
Brian.

Top Bottom