Another one for Pens For Hope

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

381404_247759851950754_100001502242963_675436_210450012_n.jpg

The inlay is construction paper. Wanted to work on the idea. This was run #1, and figured it needed a good home.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

Not bad Allen. Is this your first attempt at segmenting? I haven't even tried to segment a pen, but I've been working on some segmented blanks for Christmas ornaments for gifts. Not doing very well with it so far, but I'll keep trying. Is that Holly or an acrylic casting?

Drstrangefart

Most definitely not my first segmenting work. The wood is soft maple. The inlay is, of course construction paper. Segmenting is fun, and the more patient you are, the more rewarding it gets.

SDB777

This is 'standard' construction paper, like the stuff you can get off the shelf in WalMart(or where ever)?

I'm kind of 'blown away' by the quality of the turning with something so simple! I like it!

What was the 'glue of choice'?

Scott (got a pile of it laying around) B

Drstrangefart

This is 'standard' construction paper, like the stuff you can get off the shelf in WalMart(or where ever)?

I'm kind of 'blown away' by the quality of the turning with something so simple! I like it!

What was the 'glue of choice'?

Scott (got a pile of it laying around) B

Yes, it's regular construction paper I picked up at Dollar Tree. The best glue is thick CA. Lay it down on the inside of the cut, press the paper onto it, add more thick CA, new layer of paper, and so on. After the last strip of paper is glued in, add more thick to the top, and the inside of the other half of the blank. Put it together and tag the edges with a little accellerator to keep excess glue in place, then clamp it down TIGHT. Let it set, then cut and do the next one. I used 3 layers of each color for that one. The OTHER one I posted here had 2 scroll saw cuts on each side of the blank and 3 total layers glued into each cut. As you turn, satbilizing with thin CA is needed, as well as a few layers of thin before sanding.

Top Bottom