Another MadrePerlato on a Slimline/Comfort - and stealth gloat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from underdog

underdog

Just got another pen done this weekend.

After I lined up my lathe centers. I got a center turning kit from Johnny CNC and realized that I'd not really be able to use them unless my lathe centers lined up. I'd gotten two tailstocks from Jet to fix the problem, and the last one was worse than the original.

So I took the best of the three, and filed and scraped and tested and filed and scraped... I worked the bottom of the tailstock over until the @#$! centers finally lined up, and the tailstock set level.
You just don't know how much, and how long that's bugged me. I was on top of the world.... I felt like someone had lifted a hundred pounds off my shoulders. WHOO HOO! Now when I drill with the tailstock it won't wobble so badly, and when I use the tailstock to center faceplate turnings, it won't cut circles...

So you can see the new centers lining up, the new slimline bushings, and the first pen I've turned between centers...

This is another MadrePerlato acrylic blank from Exotic. Bergundy on a fancy slimline with comfort band. The nib end was perfect! I'm not sure I got the centers dead on the money because the tailstock bushing put some fret marks on the tailstock center... still it's a lot dang closer than it's ever been before.

Only problem I had was the slimline bushing seemed to be too small for this center band, and I didn't measure.... So the band looks a little big on this pen. Still it turned out ok...

Attachments

• CentersLineUp.jpg
    CentersLineUp.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 207
  • NewCenters.jpg
    NewCenters.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 191
  • SlimLineBushings.jpg
    SlimLineBushings.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 194
  • MPerlato Berg FSlimComf Left.jpg
    MPerlato Berg FSlimComf Left.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 242
  • MPerlato Berg FSlimComf Right.jpg
    MPerlato Berg FSlimComf Right.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EarlD

Madreperlato surely makes a beautiful pen, and you certainly did it justice. I like the Comforts...they just "feel" right to me. Besides, I've sold three times more Comforts than all my other pens combined.

Earl

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Madreperlato surely makes a beautiful pen, and you certainly did it justice. I like the Comforts...they just "feel" right to me. Besides, I've sold three times more Comforts than all my other pens combined.

Earl

Couldn't agree more!! The only thing wrong with the comfort was---it took me years to discover it.

Once I started showing them, they sold very nicely.

Using the Madreperlato for that style will certainly allow the pearl to show through, as Jim has shown. But I probably would recommend painting the tube (don't think the glue will show, but the brass might be visible at the nib where the material is very thin).

With the Madreperlatos, I paint the tubes with "Metallic burgundy" by Rustoleum (for burgundy blanks). They make a whole series of metallic paint. Don't know if it really matters---but I feel like I DID something, that way:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Great job, Jim!!

Top Bottom