Another M3 Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

I thought I would try some of these to, to see what its all about. :) My first batch had air holes and Mike replaced them no problems. Hard for me to take a picture of, but it has nice patterns if you look close. From a distance, it just looks like a shiney pen.
Something interesting on these blanks. The bad turned blanks with air holes were set aside and wrapped with a rubberband. After a week, there was a big black tarnish ring spot where the rubber band was. I did not put a finish on this other than buff. I wonder just how much this will tarnish over time and what unkown elements will effect the looks of this blank?

Dayacom pen resting on a Graf Von Faber tripple pen case.

2008119211947_M3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Nice looking pen Anthony. Tarnish is probably a reaction of the sulfur in the rubber band with the metal in the blank. I had a similar problem with silver accents and ebonite which is also cured with sulfur. A little ren wax will help but the blank should not react with too many other things.

Stevej72

Anthony, that is a very nice looking pen. I am just finishing a pen something like that style but I think it is called a Stretch. I did'nt turn the blank straight B2B and that may have been a mistake as I like the way yours looks better.

Beautiful Looking pen Anthony[8D]
Almost all metals will develop a patina over time, a reaction with a specific compound or element may indeed develop a tarnish (oxidation)or "stain".

My experience with any metal is that a fresh surface will react in time, I would wonder if a Ren wax or even a CA finish would hold the look over time, also wondering what the aged patina would look like though, it may be something that looks good..?!?![;)]

PenWorks

Steve, this is a Stretch pen from Aaron, I just can't call it a Stretch pen. [xx(]
Since the design is pretty simple, I think it would be best as a B2B pen to keep its classic look. I haven't wonder from the lines on any of them yet.

I thought about a CA finish, But I want to see how it patina's over time.

Bruce, I lacquer over all my black ebonite pens. This has prevented the oxidation.

Thanks for the comments

OKLAHOMAN

Anthony, Really starting to like that kit and the M3 blanks. I could be wrong but in Italian is not the word stretch loosley translated to espandere. The name "Espandere"[8D] on second thought never mind.
Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Steve, this is a Stretch pen from Aaron, I just can't call it a Stretch pen. [xx(]Since the design is pretty simple, I think it would be best as a B2B pen to keep its classic look. I haven't wonder from the lines on any of them yet.

I thought about a CA finish, But I want to see how it patina's over time.

Bruce, I lacquer over all my black ebonite pens. This has prevented the oxidation.

Thanks for the comments

Stevej72

Thanks for explaining that to me. It seems like I saw that in one of your earlier posts, but if it was more than a day ago I forgot. I didn't care much for the Stretch name either, I do like M3.

btboone

You can use Baldwin's Patina to turn the copper an even darker brown, like an old penny. The same thing happens with Liver of Sulphur, but it also affects silver.

Tanner

Beautiful pen Anthony!! I have one of those on order. I may just put a coat of CA over it just to make sure it does not tarnish.[:0] I may have to swing by and see that baby in person. I also need to get a nice leather pen case from you.[:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom