Another Knife Concept pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

Nothing over the top, you've seen the other one! This one has Cocobolo on the outside, and Brazilian Cherry on the inside. Full sized Majestic with new finals turned and a satin finish over CA using steel wool. I had to do a second one of these knife concept pens to make sure I've got my head right for the next one which I hope is much more elaborate.

6615420091_cfd8407d35_z.jpg

As always, larger images can be seen in either my IAP Gallery or my Flickr site which are both linked below.

Happy New Year!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Boy, that is a GREAT looking Pen. Could not see what you call the knife part , but it does have the look of a knife as well. I assume that the metal is aluminum. Got my mind a going full speed. Frank

wiset1

Boy, that is a GREAT looking Pen. Could not see what you call the knife part , but it does have the look of a knife as well. I assume that the metal is aluminum. Got my mind a going full speed. Frank

Well, when I say a knife concept it's more about the handle on a knife. I was doing some tests on mosaic pins a couple weeks back and was really inspired by all the work done in the knife forums. The 1/8th inch aluminum spine represents the blade. Hope that helps clarify my idea.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Tim, I like these knife pens. You have great selection of wood in these and, doing really nice work with the aluminum. Very nice.

wiset1

Thanks Chuck,

I'm thinking of one done in all aluminum with brass insert rods. That will be a real pain since I have everything designed for wood working. I'll figure it out one way or another. I think some HRB would look the best though or if I could find a way to do polished concrete...now that would be cool!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Chuck,

I'm thinking of one done in all aluminum with brass insert rods. That will be a real pain since I have everything designed for wood working. I'll figure it out one way or another. I think some HRB would look the best though or if I could find a way to do polished concrete...now that would be cool!
That's a great idea. Hang on to it and, make it happen. It can be done and, YOU can do it. Can't wait to see it.

firewhatfire

You have an exceTional eye for detail. That is an outstanding piece of work. It reminds me I must start buying a better quality woods. O to be broke only buying pen kits. Tim the wise will cause me to be broke on wood alone

Phil

Last edited:

JD Combs Sr

I love it! Any objections to copying your idea?? My barber is also a knife dealer and I would love to set him up with a display of these and if nothing else gift him one like it.

Edit: Question - What did you use to glue the layers together, CA?

Last edited:

wiset1

I love it! Any objections to copying your idea?? My barber is also a knife dealer and I would love to set him up with a display of these and if nothing else gift him one like it.

Have at it! These are just something to do for fun until I grow up I guess :biggrin: so if you want to bang your head against that rock feel free to do so. I use medium CA, but I advise that you take your time because they like to blow up:cool: so with that being said...try epoxy.

I would love to see it when you get it done so just PM me when you post...thank you.

JD Combs Sr

Have at it! These are just something to do for fun until I grow up I guess :biggrin: so if you want to bang your head against that rock feel free to do so. I use medium CA, but I advise that you take your time because they like to blow up:cool: so with that being said...try epoxy.

I would love to see it when you get it done so just PM me when you post...thank you.

Thanks. Just kind of thinking out loud here but I am assuming that the main "backbone" 1/8" aluminum was one piece and went all the way through the original segmented blank. It was drilled length wise actually cutting it into two pieces after the drilling(If so I can see where the difficulty came from) I am wondering if the back bone was layered using two separate pieces of aluminum separated by the width of the drill bit with a piece of scrap wood the same width as the drill thickness and the same thickness as the two pieces of aluminum how well that would work? The separation would kind of act as a guide for the bit. Even if this method helped I agree that epoxy is probably the way to go glue wise and I will be more then glad to let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

wiset1

Thanks. Just kind of thinking out loud here but I am assuming that the main "backbone" 1/8" aluminum was one piece and went all the way through the original segmented blank. It was drilled length wise actually cutting it into two pieces after the drilling(If so I can see where the difficulty came from) I am wondering if the back bone was layered using two separate pieces of aluminum separated by the width of the drill bit with a piece of scrap wood the same width as the drill thickness and the same thickness as the two pieces of aluminum? Even if this method helped I agree that epoxy is probably the way to go glue wise and I will be more then glad to let you know how it goes.

Here's the picture that shows it a bit better

6561366371_6760c11101_z.jpg

Hope that helps...

JD Combs Sr

Yes the photo collage is a big help. Another question do the "rivets" go all the way through, if so they sure did not help your drilling.

BTW It appears that I was editing my post(#13) while you were answering my unedited version. If you have a moment take another look at my edited version. I am thinking this might help you on your next one.

wiset1

Yes the photo collage is a big help. Another question do the "rivets" go all the way through, if so they sure did not help your drilling.

BTW It appears that I was editing my post(#13) while you were answering my unedited version. If you have a moment take another look at my edited version. I am thinking this might help you on your next one.

I found that it was easier to drill about half way through and insert the aluminum rods. Doing this on each side allowed me to have that balanced look instead of having a drifting bit.

I did see your post, but to be honest...I'm kind of lazy and I would rather deal with the direct headache of drilling it out instead of additional segmenting:biggrin:

Top Bottom