Another kitless prototype...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brownsfn2

brownsfn2

Here is my third kitless/custom pen prototype. I tried a few new things on this one. I tried to make the body to cap threads look more like part of the body instead of a tenon I made it a gradual slope. I also tried to incorporate a clip. I am not too happy with the way that the clip and finial turned out but it was good practice.

I do have a few questions about how certain things are handled with kitless pens but I will ask that in that forum. I think I need to refine some things. I am considering a triple start thread at some point here as I think it will make the cap go on faster and I do not have to sacrifice a smaller thread section.

Please critique. I could use some advice on improvement. Thanks!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dansills

Your third? :eek:
I'm hoping my 20th looks this good. Looks good to me.

Is that an acrylic acetate blank or alumilite? Any may I ask where you got it from?

magpens

WOW ! That looks very good to me !! If you were closer I'd ask you to give me lessons.

brownsfn2

Thanks for the nice comments. As with anything new I am unsure of myself. I know there are imperfections that the pictures do not show and I definitely would like the fit of the clip more if I was able to hid the ring.

I want to be able to sell some of these when I get better at making them so I was just looking for critique on what some might think about the shape and look.

The material was totally a freebie from Exotics. I can't remember the name because the sticker fell off a while ago. It is an Acrylic Acetate though. Thanks again!

wob50

Looks great, you talking about setting the clip into the body more ? to make it invisible or almost invisible, that would be cool. But it looks great like is.

brownsfn2

Yep. I am trying to figure out how to hide the clip ring and still keep the cap the same size. Not sure yet what to do. Thanks for the nice words.

Brooks803

I do like your pen Ron, but I do have some critique that I think will help you along the way. I will say that your finish is superb!!!

Section:

Needs a bit more shape to it. I like the length, but give it a bit more of a pinch in the middle. Also, what nib housing are you using? If it's a Jowo take a 9mm bit and barely touch it on the nib end of the section. That'll give that little lip somewhere to go for a more seamless look.

Body:

I like that little slope you did, but there needs to be a continuous slope from beginning to end. It looks like it straightens out just after the threads and then starts to taper further down the barrel.

Does this post at all? I've found that most buyers will want to post their cap. So you might have to increase the taper on the end.

Cap:

Your size is just right, but it needs a little more shape. Only slightly though! It just looks to straight to me. I know that the clip dictated that on this one though.

I left some tips on your other post about how you could handle the clip ring to make it more manageable.

What size threads did you use for your cap finial? I can see there's quite a bit of wiggle room for the clip to slide around. Plus it looks like the finial doesn't thread on flush...looks a little cockeyed. That's most likely from it not threading all the way in like it did when you turned it. That different stopping point will do that to you. There is a way to counteract this that allows the finial to thread on flush, but it's hard for me to explain typing it out. We can get on the phone and I can try to explain it if you want. Let me know if you don't have my # anymore. Back to the wiggle room...The best way to get rid of that is to use a matching thread size to the ID of the ring. I want to say that your Triton clip is 12mm ID. So using a 12mm finial threading would keep it in place best.

Threading:

One trick I use to reduce the # of turns to seal the cap is to cut away a couple of the starting threads inside the cap. You can drill them out, but I prefer to use an Exacto knife and do it by hand. That way I can test along the way so I don't go to far. This WILL alter the stopping point so your "grain" alignment will change after each cut! Something to definitely keep in mind.

I do think you're well on your way Ron! Keep up the great work!

darrin1200

Thats a great looking pen Ron.
I have only done one kitless so far, you have inspired me to get back in the shop today.

Thank you Jonathon for the honest critic. I love to read comments like this about our works, as it helps to build confidence and guide along the path. Your comments to Ron have given me insight into my own designs.

Keep going Ron.

Top Bottom