Another Kallenshaan Experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brittleheart

Brittleheart

I have been toying with the idea of a desk pen that does not use the usual brass trumpet type stand for some time. I have also had a vague idea going on in the back of my head about a desk pen in the form of a wind felled tree or a "lightning tree". When Ken Nelsen sent me some extra "leftover" blanks for the article that I am writing for the Woodturning magazine, this one caught my eye straight away and I just had to see how it fitted with my concept.

Based on a Sierra kit, a Kallenshaan leftover blank was used to make the top, the body and desk stand are African blackwood.

Maybe it just re-entered Earth's atmosphere with its tail on fire, maybe it is a refugee from The Hobbit, anyway I like it and it is my desk it is going to sit on. It is finished with gloss acrylic lacquer and polished with burnishing cream.

Comments and critique welcome as usual.

IMG_3651 by walter.hall, on Flickr

IMG_3656 by walter.hall, on Flickr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

islandturner

I have been toying with the idea of a desk pen that does not use the usual brass trumpet type stand for some time. I have also had a vague idea going on in the back of my head about a desk pen in the form of a wind felled tree or a "lightning tree".

This is definately 'thinking outside the trumpet'...! Very cool and elegant -- more like a piece of modern art. I can only imagine how scary it was, finishing the end. Thanks for posting it for us....

Brittleheart

Thanks for all your kind comments.

Finishing the top was not a problem using spray acrylic lacquer, but sanding it to a good enough surface to finish was a bit, lets say delicate. The flames are tougher than they look, but I wouldn't go scratching your ear with it.

I like the fountain pen idea Richard, but I think you would need to build a screw thread into the base to stop the ink from drying out.

drgoretex

WOW!!!

Now that is some serious artwork there! Breathtaking imagination and creativity. I love it!

Ken

Top Bottom