Another Jr. Emperor - SOLD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I got some really nice curly Koa from Dario some time ago and have been saving it for something special. I thought this Jr. Emperor rollerball was it, but now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking of cutting it off and redoing the pen in African Blackwood. Any thoughts?

200681235124_JrEmpKoaRB.jpg

Update 8/6 - I wasn't sure I had time to try a different wood before the show I was scheduled to be in this weekend so I just took it the way it was. A customer asked to see the best rollerball I had so I showed this to him, he tried it out and bought it with no hesitation. He really liked the wood. And the rest of the show was just as good.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi Gerry,

It's a nice blank, The pen is very nice too, I'm not sure this blank suits the pen hardware of this kit design. With kits at this level of cost I really am very selective with the blanks I choose. I would think about buying other spare tubes and turning some other blanks of other materials and consider a change over if if you like. I often buy a few extra sets of tubes and do this with my expensive kits, I do not turn them down to final size always before I do the comparisons....because if they would look better on a Jr Gent or Jr Statesman then I save the final sizing for the kit I like on the blank I turn...maybe I'm alone with this thought, but I can't see what the blank looks like till I turn it, so I turn it round on the spare tubes and then decide.

Just my 2 cents, It's still a good looking pen Gerry
[8D]

alamocdc

Gerry, it's a very nice looking pen, but I like Jim's idea. I know that many feel like overstated materials detract from the hardware of the higher end kits, but I'm not sure I fully buy that. The only problem I have with the Koa and this pen is that I don't think it's striking enough. Yes, it's moderately curly, it's just missing something. JMO

Dario

Gerry,

Much as this hurt me...from the pic, another wood might work better with Gold Emperor. You will be the ultimate judge since you can really see and feel the pen.

Texas Taco

I think Billy and Dario stated what I was thinking. We can sit here and tell you it's just missing something but you are the one with it in your hands.

African Blackwood or a real nice dark Ebony would IMO look great with that kit.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />Hi Gerry,

It's a nice blank, The pen is very nice too, I'm not sure this blank suits the pen hardware of this kit design. With kits at this level of cost I really am very selective with the blanks I choose. I would think about buying other spare tubes and turning some other blanks of other materials and consider a change over if if you like. I often buy a few extra sets of tubes and do this with my expensive kits, I do not turn them down to final size always before I do the comparisons....because if they would look better on a Jr Gent or Jr Statesman then I save the final sizing for the kit I like on the blank I turn...maybe I'm alone with this thought, but I can't see what the blank looks like till I turn it, so I turn it round on the spare tubes and then decide.

Just my 2 cents, It's still a good looking pen Gerry
[8D]

Has anyone put together a list of the pen kits that use the same tubes? Last night I was strugling with this same type of question, do I make a Jr. Statesman or Jr. Gent (then realized there is also the Jr. Gent II - which IS different and the Jr. Emperor and other new kits that I have a few of but have not measured) Has someone already done this??

If you can use that Koa on a different pen, go for it. But, I sure would NOT turn it off, making it "throw away" wood. (JMO)

gerryr

Thanks to everyone for all the comments. I got an email from someone whose opinion I respect a great deal and, at least for now, I'm leaving it alone. I just need to market it correctly.

The tubes for the Jr. Emperor are the same as the Jr. Statesman/Gentleman version 2, but obviously different bushings.

GBusardo

This may sound crazy, but I bet that pen would sell in two hours in a hotel gift shop in Maui. There are plenty of Asian business men with plenty of money that just might want to take home a beautiful pen made from native wood. Hawaii is to Japan what Disney World is the the eastern US. I am guessing that is what Gerry meant by marketing it correctly.
By the way, looks like you did a great job on the pen, Gerry! Like the others, I am not sure if the combination does anything for me, I would have to see and feel it.
Good luck
Gary

Galanw

When I have doubts about what a turned pen blank will look like, or which pen kit to use for a particular wood, I cut the blank to the length of the longest tubes and drill them to fit the mandrel without any tube (usually 1/4 inch). Then I turn them down leaving them oversized. When I decide upon the kit to use, I redrill for the proper tubes and turn them down to size.

Labor intense, but better than a disappointment.

Kaspar

Easier still is to drill the blank, wet the inside and either shine a light down it, or if it's a translucent material "candle" it. The thickness of the material is so slight you'll have a pretty good idea of what you've got.

Of course, I'm a fanatic about straight barrels where as many of you seem to love "fat" pens. Which of course, would leave much more material and so my way wouldn't be as helpful.

reed43

Gerry the most important thing of all is the cash in the pocket. It must have been the correct blank for your customer.Very nice pen and sale.

rpasto92

Originally posted by ed4copies

Has anyone put together a list of the pen kits that use the same tubes? Last night I was strugling with this same type of question, do I make a Jr. Statesman or Jr. Gent (then realized there is also the Jr. Gent II - which IS different and the Jr. Emperor and other new kits that I have a few of but have not measured) Has someone already done this??
I put a spreadsheet on the Yahoo forum that shows what all drill bits are used for each kit. That would be a good start for that kind of comparison but it wouldn't tel you if the tube lengths were the same, only the tube diameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom