Another huon pine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DuncanH

DuncanH

Hi All,
Had a go at a Jr Gent yesterday using birdseye huon pine, trying to keep in mind what VisExp said about giving the barrels more of a convex shape. I definitely think it looks better than plain straight or concave :)redface:)

gent2.jpg

gent1.jpg

Duncan.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Nice Pen Duncan! I like the shape and think it looks just as it should. The wood is full of character and a definite winner! Great Job!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Very nice pen. I can see the grain patter in addition to the eyes and knots. The huon that I have is clear and uneventful. It is hard to see the grain pattern on mine.

akbar24601

Very nice pen. I can see the grain patter in addition to the eyes and knots. The huon that I have is clear and uneventful. It is hard to see the grain pattern on mine.
Hey Hank,

Since your Huon is uneventful sounds like it might be great for a segmented pen. The color is beautiful and I think would look great if you were to pair it with a darker wood (Bois De Rose, Bloodwood, Wenge). Just food for thought.

marcruby

I think this is an example of a finely concieved and made pen. Your reference to Visexp's comments brought a thought to my mind though.

We have to be careful of creating a canon of what a perfect pen should be. Convex works so well that many times we just do that without contemplating other options. When I went back and looked at your first huon pin pen it occured to me that the light concavity actually worked very well with the elegant beauty fittings. A reminder that shape should be a conscious decision for each pen.

Marc

DuncanH

A reminder that shape should be a conscious decision for each pen.Marc
Yeah very true, Marc. I've never really made a decision on the shape until the ends of the blank are rounded to the right diameter. I suppose having the kit close by to make regular comparisons would help at that point.

Top Bottom