Another Happy Kid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from opus

Status
Not open for further replies.

opus

My step daughter saw me turning pens and asked if she could try one, the following is the result. She did almost all of it herself, picked the blank, drilled, turned and finish. Pretty nice for her first try! :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

opus

Oops....Forgot to attach the Pics [:I]

200511931327_Andi.jpg
<br />

200511931340_Andi%20Osage%20Orange.jpg
<br />

opus

Thanks guys,
She is pretty proud of her pencil, and seeing it on the web was really "cool". She's taking it to school tommorow, I'm sure it will be a hit.
I look forward to doing some more with her.

Brent

Opus, I hope you are stocked up on supplies,after she shows it to her friends you may have a shop full of kids wanting to turn. This happen to me with my great nephew I helped him turn one and the next day he was back with two of his friends. I had a lot fun helping and watching these kids make these pens.

bajacrazy

Great job!![:D]

I’m sure couple of days at school showing all her friends by the weekend your shop will be filled with those friends that would like the chance to try.[:0][:D] I think it’s great that some kids are still interested into woodwork etc. I’ve donated solid surface to a local high school wood shop for their mass production project last year for making pens. It’s so sad that many schools are eliminating woodworking shops for the lack of interest. My father was a woodshop or an Industrial art teacher and for the last two years before retiring had starting teaching Robotic Engineering because of the lack of interest in the wood shop.[:(]

esheffield

Very nice work! I'm sure you're really proud of her!

Originally posted by bajacrazy
It’s so sad that many schools are eliminating woodworking shops for the lack of interest. My father was a woodshop or an Industrial art teacher and for the last two years before retiring had starting teaching Robotic Engineering because of the lack of interest in the wood shop.[:(]

While I would have loved to take a Robotics Engineering course in HS, I would have loved woodshop too. But in my school (20 years ago) woodshop was not a course that college bound kids should take. There was a certain snobbery that was impressed on us, and woodshop was one of the courses for the poor kids who were not college material so they could learn a useful trade to eke out some kind of living.

I thought that sounded weird at the time, but I went along with it. But the older I get, the more I realize it was a large pile of steaming horse-hockey! I now think that many of the courses I was steered away from would probably have benefitted me more in everyday life than the ones I took. [:p] I hope to guide my kids better than I was.

Eddie

opus

Thanks again,
Her younger sister is going to make one tonight, and she wanted to make sure she gets her picture here too, got to be fair to both!. I have this great plan...have them producing pens for sale while I take the profits and retire sitting on the beach drinking Coronas!!
Yea that should work ...Right!! [8D] [^]

J. Fred Muggs

Dadgum! I gotta go buy that stock in WMH Tools! All these young'uns startin' to turn pens has gotta sell a lotta Jet mini lathes![:)][:eek:)]

My 21 year old daughter is apparently catching the fever too! She's starting to do polymer clay and turn 'em round. I'll post some pics if she ever shows back up with the camera.

Anyway, Good looking daughter with a good looking pen there, Scott. You oughta be proud!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom