Another Good day.........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from melogic

Status
Not open for further replies.

melogic

Here are just a few of what I got turned today. These all have a CA/BLO finish. I'm still trying to perfect the CA finish. I think I'm getting better. As always comments welcome.

This Chrome Sierra is made out of African Blackwood.
06829174652_African%20Blackwood%20Sierra%20resized.jpg

This gold Sierra is made out of Yellowheart.
2006829174748_Yellowheart%20Sierra%20resized.jpg

Below are a couple of pictures of my first Panache. It is Black Chrome made out of Bubinga.
2006829174925_Bubinga%20Panache%20Closed%20resized.jpg

2006829175030_Bubinga%20Panache%20resized.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chigdon

I agree, that Blackwood is awesome and I ALSO agree that my blackwood is not that black. Is that the lighting? It looks more like Ebony.

melogic

It is Blackwood. I think the BLO and the CA made it look like ebony, I'm not sure. I noticed the rings in the picture as well but they do not show up when looking at it in person. It has a glass finish on it. This is probably my best CA/BLO finish to date. I'm not 100% sure but I think I got the blackwood from someone on the IAP. It's been maybe a year or so ago.

punkinn

Mark: I find that Blackwood, cocobolo and some of the other really oily woods don't like CA too much. They are harder to get a top-rate finish on than some of the drier woods for sure. Also, I find I always have to do a horizontal sanding step on dark woods in between the lathe-turning sanding to get rid of all the marks. You did a very nice job with all the pens. I love the Panache style - I really want to get all tooled up for that kit sometime soon. [:)]

Nancy

melogic

I just used the Panache and I like the way it writes as much as the Jr. Gent. and Jr. Statesman. The jury is still out on the overall quality of this pen and how it is going to hold up. Since I have had problems in the past with the ring on the nib of the Jr. statesman working it's way loose, I put a dab of CA on this one before pressing it together.
For those that have made this kit before, what kind of price are we putting on these jewels?

Woodnknots

Great pens! I recently did a blackwood SL with a water buffalo CB for a friend's birthday. I didn't use a finish other than sanding, plastic polish, and renwax. It was a flawless finish!! Blackwood does very well (in my experience) with hut plastic polish. You have to be sure to get rid of all sanding lines first, though.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by melogic
<br />....I noticed the rings in the picture as well but they do not show up when looking at it in person........

Perhaps you are seeing an illusion caused by the flash? I've seen it on a couple of my CA finished pens but cannot find it in natural light. I think that Eagle might have mentioned that he sometimes covers his flash with wax paper to soften it? I know that when I saw those rings and then used the wax paper trick they went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom