Another first cast resin pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Justin_F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Justin,
What did you use as a mold? It looks very unusual. I'm surprised the pen didn't come out more blue; is the pic off a bit in color?

Otherwise, nice job! The shape of the pen barrel looks nice, and it looks like you did a good job with the finish. Congrats on your first casts!

Justin_F

Hi Jim, thanks for the kind comments. The mold is a small plastic container with a hinged lid - I bought 6 of them for less than a dollar at a place in Sydney called "Reverse Garbage". RG basically picks up stuff from Sydney businesses for free and recycles them back into the community at a small charge, saving heaps of landfill. I have been able to buy a LOT of great stuff there for next to nothing, including scraps of timber to learn turning on. I joined two pieces of 2 inch pine together to form a right angle that I could put in the mold to begin with so I didn't blow all my resin on the first couple of casts - this brought the yield down from about 6 pens to 3 from each cast.

I agree that it should have been more blue - some of that is the photography, but I think that Ill need to use more liquid pigment next time to give it more body. Also the orange mold probably makes the resin look more opaque than it actually was.
Thanks
Jus

atvrules1

Thats great Justin. Anybody that is brave enough to try resin casting deserves an "atta-boy" in my book. That looks like it is the start of a great series of blanks. Keep at 'em. We look forward to seeing some more pens.

Czarcastic

Very pretty. How did it turn? I keep reading about the first several batches of resins that people try being "crumbly" or "too hard", etc. From the results, it looks like you had some good fortune on your consistency.

Looks like you got it right on the very first try! Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom