Another failed attempt! But its fun!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bsshog40

bsshog40

I can see what I want to do but I just can't compensate for what the final turn should look like. Lol I really envy those of you doing segmented pens, and they turn out like you want them to. Lol Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Attachments

• 32 Seg pen 12 27 18 (1) Left 1.jpg
    32 Seg pen 12 27 18 (1) Left 1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 286
  • 32 Seg pen 12 27 18 (1) right2.jpg
    32 Seg pen 12 27 18 (1) right2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 284
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The segmenting here is fine in my opinion Bobby. From my image, the alignment is good (Nib to Finial aligning the squares), and the slices are also straight with how they were stacked.

If you are disappointed in the tapered middle section, that is due to the rounded profile. (If you know this, just ignore me prattling).. The taper will occur with kits that have different bushing dimensions between the two, and when you introduce a rounded or tapered profile. So you need to plan for this as a design element you want, or avoid.

I almost always use kits that have the same bushing dimensions, or include the taper as desired. Even so, at times the taper still is evident.

This is not a failure, it is part of the learning curve, and you are doing fine!

Woodchipper

Nothing wrong with that pen. Purple heart and what, if I may ask? Going to try my hand at segmenting.
Failure is part of learning. Thomas Edison once commented that he could tell you about 1,000 ways not to make a light bulb. If it wasn't for Edison, we would be watching TV by candlelight.

bsshog40

The segmenting here is fine in my opinion Bobby. From my image, the alignment is good (Nib to Finial aligning the squares), and the slices are also straight with how they were stacked.

If you are disappointed in the tapered middle section, that is due to the rounded profile. (If you know this, just ignore me prattling).. The taper will occur with kits that have different bushing dimensions between the two, and when you introduce a rounded or tapered profile. So you need to plan for this as a design element you want, or avoid.

I almost always use kits that have the same bushing dimensions, or include the taper as desired. Even so, at times the taper still is evident.

This is not a failure, it is part of the learning curve, and you are doing fine!
Yea Mark, the rounded profile had something to do with it but I was losing design before I got to that point of leaving a rounded profile. If I had taken it down anymore, I would have lost what I wanted on the lower tube also. It's actually pretty challenging trying to figure these out. But its fun also. I get some unique finishes. Lmao. Thanks for the comment Mark!

bsshog40

Nothing wrong with that pen. Purple heart and what, if I may ask? Going to try my hand at segmenting.
Failure is part of learning. Thomas Edison once commented that he could tell you about 1,000 ways not to make a light bulb. If it wasn't for Edison, we would be watching TV by candlelight.
Lol I hear ya! Btw, Purpleheart & Yellowheart.

magpens

Personally, I think that is a very brave and quite successful project !!!

I guess one of the oblong parts in the top portion disappeared in the turning process.
But that is part of learning. . It would be very difficult to calculate and predict ... the best way is to try it and learn, and that is what you did ... very well done !!!

You are making remarkable progress, in my opinion !!

Top Bottom