Another Ebony Cigar FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drgoretex

drgoretex

Here is this week's production - an ebony cigar FP which I have been meaning to make for a Korean friend for a long time (can't do a good CA finish in a freezing cold shop).

This ebony pen is coated with eight coats of CA, sanded to 12,000 grit then polished.

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5104.jpg

IMG_5116.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

What color ink does it use? That is a truly classic pen, well done from stem to stern. Your fit and finish is outstanding, congratulations. Basic black is just so cool. Thanks for showing and sharing.
Charles

wiset1

Such a true work of art! This is what I'm working toward with my own turns and this just proves as an inspiration. Amazing work

bluwolf

Very, very nice! Is the front section sitting down in a counterbore or is that just an optical illusion?

Mike

wizard

Beautiful!!! Love the simplicity and sleekness. How is to cut threads in ebony?
Ken, your work is always inspirational. Regards, Doc

drGeek

Your perfection gives us mere mortals something to strive for!!!!!!
WOW what superb craftsmanship and design.
That pen is simply beautiful.....

arw01

Fabulous! I'd spend years trying to get the body/cap in a straight line. He will absolutely cherish that pen. How long after you start boring, taping, etc do you let it sit to even out in moisture. Relating to the fact that ebony tends to crack as it dries since so few pieces for sale seem to be crack free.

drgoretex

Thanks for all the kind comments! It was a fun pen to make.

Bluwolf - the nib section, or rather the threaded insert is not really sitting in a counterbore. When I CA'd the edge of the ends, the CA built up a bit higher toward the outside, making the edge very slightly bevelled, or coned.

Doc - Nah, didn't cut thread in the ebony. Tried to thread wood once, won't be doing that again. In fact, this pen is really just a modified 'El Grande' with closed ends, the thread insert for the cap trimmed so that it is not stepped, and so I can have it inset into the cap. The thread insert for the barrel normally has a metal flange on it, which I had to trim off so that it would sit flush in the barrel. So really, I guess this one's a bit of a 'cheater' :biggrin:

arw01 - I have not had this problem with ebony, and hope I do not. The wood is sealed on the outside with the CA, and inside with epoxy. I only use wood that has been sitting dry a long, long time. Now, if it gets dropped in hot water, or left out in the rain, that may be an issue...:)

Ken

Nickfff

Your pen looks great-excellent execution. Did you use brass tubes-the el grande seems so be so thin when I have tried this what size drill bits did you use? What did you use to cut the threads?

Thanks,

Nick

drgoretex

Hi Nick - yes, the El Grande brass tubes to stabilize the wood. Usual drill sizes: 31/64 and 33/64. The threads are the thread inserts that come with the El Grande kit.

Cheers

Ken

Top Bottom