Another Ebay mystery blank...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc Phillips

Marc Phillips

I have never worked with this before... got about 20 chunks as part of a large Ebay order I did awhile ago.

Not knowing what to expect, I used a slimline.

The wood really splinters a lot... used the skew with very shallow cuts, then filled with CA and cut some more, etc.

It did polish up nice.

Any ideas what this wood is?

Thanks...

Attachments

• DarkSatinsilverSlimline.JPG
    DarkSatinsilverSlimline.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 387
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

Since you said that it splinters alot, I am lead to believe it to be black palm. I was given a piece and i turned out one pen and it splintered alot, but did make a nice pen. I could be wrong though.

toyotaman

It's Wenge. I bought some blanks off e-bay and made some nice pens with it.The pours of it is open like Oak.Once the pours are filled with CA it shines up nicely.
Donny

toolcrazy

Yep, it's Wenge. Turned a bit of it. I have some cross cut, but I think it wont hold together long enough to make a pen out of it.

Very nice pen you have there.

robutacion

I'm not familiar with Wenge so, I can't comment on that...! sorry

One of the things that I would like to comment on, if I'm allowed is that fact that for the purpose of wood recognition/identification, it makes it a lot easier to everyone to show 1 raw blank (if available) or even a off-cut and dip half a it in water just before you take the pic.

This allow a much better view of the wood itself, before and after finished than a finished pen will.
This is just and observation/suggestion from someone dealing with lots of wood all the time and pulling the head hairs often enough by trying to work out what's what, when it comes to wood...!:eek::biggrin:

Fine looking pen you did, BTW...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom