Another custom pen experience

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brownsfn2

brownsfn2

I am still not happy with this one totally because of the finial meeting with the cap, the threading is a bit tight on the cap, and the rounding of the section. This is progress though. I think with a few more pens I can be a little more confident. Thanks for looking...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• bpena.jpg
    bpena.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 628
  • bpenc.jpg
    bpenc.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 610
  • bpend.jpg
    bpend.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 617
  • bpene.jpg
    bpene.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 645
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful job Ron. I understand your point about the finial, but it is of no distraction to me. The overall shape is very appealing; and unless it is a camera/lighting issue - this looks like a matte finish??? If so I LIKE IT!

Very nice.

Charlie69

Nice pen!! There is a bit of a learning curve with the kitless stuff isn't there. On one of the pens I last made the threading was a little tight on the cap due to the threads being tight on the section to body. After the pen was done I thought it would have been best if I had cut a tenon on the female section/body threads but I didn't want to go back and do it because I would have had to chuck up the body...the body was buffed and everything so I was loathe to clamp it in the collet chuck. Oh well the threads will loosen up after a week or two I guess/hope.

Sandsini

A beautiful pen in a beautiful material. It looks like you're being very critical of your work, which is a good thing and makes for a better product, but I would be very happy with that one!

Excellent photography as well.

Cheers,
Eric

SteveG

I am lovin' your pen, and then looking in the mirror, demanding to know why I am not doing pens like this. I come up with no good answer. Guess I need my own personal K.I.T.A.
Great looking pen. "Fit" appears nice everywhere, and threads are nice and clean. Keep up the good work!

Brooks803

Looks great Ron! I'll try to not sound biased...but that blank is bada$$!!

Here's a few tips to help with the areas you're not completely happy with:

On the cap finial. One thing to be sure of is that the blank is totally round prior to threading. Even though the blank is round to start out it's not perfect. Turn it down just a hair and you should see some improvements. Also, do you cut a relief at the base of the threads on the finial? If not, try that. It'll help it to seat square.

Tight threads. If you know you're using the correct drill bit and tenon size there are a couple things you can do on top of that. I always chase my threads after turning (by hand). If mine are still tight I'll chase again, but give slight pressure against the sides as I spin the tap. I also chase the cap/body threads on the body as well. It's a bit trickier so take your time to make sure you're lined up before chasing. You can also flip the die around and chase that way. MUCH more difficult to do, but you will take more material off this way.

Rounding the section. I'm assuming you mean on the back end where it meets the body? How are you turning that part? Was it rolled with turning or sanding? If you have a collet set and it really is bugging you. Chuck it up and square that end back off.

One part I want to compliment you on (besides material choice :cool:) is on how you rolled the end of the cap over. Sharp edges are a big no no on custom pens.

If you still have my # give me a call if you need me to explain any of that in more detail.

brownsfn2

Looks great Ron! I'll try to not sound biased...but that blank is bada$$!!

Yep. Its a Brooks blank. That joker has been pushing these blanks for a while now. :)

On the cap finial. One thing to be sure of is that the blank is totally round prior to threading. Even though the blank is round to start out it's not perfect. Turn it down just a hair and you should see some improvements. Also, do you cut a relief at the base of the threads on the finial? If not, try that. It'll help it to seat square.

The way I did it was to thread the cap and final and then screw them together and then turn, sand, and finish. They were perfectly even when I was done but after I cut the notch and recess for the clip the finial did not end up in the same location resting on the threads. I also did not cut the recess so it might seat better. I think I know how to correct this but was too lazy to go back and correct it on this one. ;)

Tight threads. If you know you're using the correct drill bit and tenon size there are a couple things you can do on top of that. I always chase my threads after turning (by hand). If mine are still tight I'll chase again, but give slight pressure against the sides as I spin the tap. I also chase the cap/body threads on the body as well. It's a bit trickier so take your time to make sure you're lined up before chasing. You can also flip the die around and chase that way. MUCH more difficult to do, but you will take more material off this way.

I did just figure out yesterday that my drill bit is not right. I switch to a double start tap/die and I never changed this bit I use. I do flip the die around because I think it gets a bit further on the tenon.

Rounding the section. I'm assuming you mean on the back end where it meets the body? How are you turning that part? Was it rolled with turning or sanding? If you have a collet set and it really is bugging you. Chuck it up and square that end back off.

It is just a sanding issue. I need to create some mandrels and peices to protect the edges. I was too aggressive.

One part I want to compliment you on (besides material choice :cool:) is on how you rolled the end of the cap over. Sharp edges are a big no no on custom pens.

Thanks. I do like it rounded but I also want to make a flat top with a soft edge. I may try that for the vintage material I have. Although I am hesitant to use the vintage stuff before I get my process down.

If you still have my # give me a call if you need me to explain any of that in more detail.

That's me that keeps calling at 2am and then I remember you are probably asleep and I hang up. :)

I will do so at some point. Life outside of penturning has been busy.

Thanks so much for taking time to respond. I appreciate it.

Brooks803

The way I did it was to thread the cap and final and then screw them together and then turn, sand, and finish. They were perfectly even when I was done but after I cut the notch and recess for the clip the finial did not end up in the same location resting on the threads. I also did not cut the recess so it might seat better. I think I know how to correct this but was too lazy to go back and correct it on this one. ;)

Ah...try cutting the recess for the clip first. Then thread for the finial. I used to have that same issue until I started doing that.

Top Bottom