Another Coachwhipped Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

This is a pen that I made last September, but thought I'd post it as an example of how to do coachwhipping.

I started with a Dayacom Elegant Beauty kit, because it allows for a relatively thick blank, and 24 strands of whipping twine (8 each of red, white, and blue).
PithTease1.jpg

I separated the threads into 8 groups of 3 threads, one of each color, and taped the ends together to help keep them straight. I arranged them with 4 sets spiraling left and 4 right, and attached them to a piece of delrin rod with a rubber band.
ThreadBundles.jpg

Then I slipped the tube on the rod and started braiding, in an alternating over/under pattern. This was the tedious part, as I had to rotate the piece frequently, snugging up the braid as I went, without getting the threads mixed up.
Braiding.jpg

When I reached the end of the tube, I secured the threads with another rubber band.
CoachwhipTied2.jpg

Then I built up a thick CA finish over the braid.
CoachwhippingCA.jpg

Once that had cured, I slipped the blank off the delrin tube, trimmed the ends, mounted it on the lathe and turned it to shape. Here is the finished pen.
PithPen.jpg

I hope that was interesting,
Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

Holy smokes! Now that really lends itself to some interesting applications. Thanks for the step by step photos. That is just awesome. I'm going to show this to my daughter and she can help me figure out the braiding. Gotta try this. You could also do a Wallstreet III kit (don't remember the Berea name for it) as it would give you even more room. And this could be cast in resin as well. Thanks for the post!!

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Top Bottom